Ran a compression check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ran a compression check

:drink: Just ran a compression test on the eta. The car has been burning a lot of oil lately, due to the fact that people behind me had noticed blue smoke on heavy acceleration I figured it was the valve stem seals, I just recently purchased a full 325i head and was going to put the cam and valve springs into the eta head while it was off. Today I decided to run a compression test to see what condition the engine was in. Supposedly in 99 the engine was was replaced with a rebuilt one when the engine snapped a rod. It runs perfect with lots of power, but keeps burning oil. Any ways numbers were as follows
    1-180 2-150 3-150 4-140 5-155 6-130
    After a little oil in the cylinders
    1-200 2-190 3-170 4-190 5-185 6-135
    That leads me to believe the piston rings are leaking. I realy don't know what to do at this point as in about the middle of July I was going to yank the head and throw in the cam, springs, and a new headgasket set. But now I'm thinking that would probally be a waist and not realy fix the oil issue. I have a couple eta blocks, and a I block in the garage so I could easily build a budget stroker. In all honesty I'm perfectly happy with the power and torque of the eta engine, a few more ponies would be nice, but not needed.
    85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Waitaminit, what about cylinder 6? It only went up 5 psi after a shot of oil?

Yes, doing a comp check is like forcing yourself to find out what's in sausage. Sometimes, you don't wanna know.

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

How many quarts of oil are you burning between oil changes? I'll just drive it as it stands. It still works just fine anyway and it's not like you're going racing, it's just an eta :p

Comment

Originally posted by FredK
        Waitaminit, what about cylinder 6? It only went up 5 psi after a shot of oil?

Yes, doing a comp check is like forcing yourself to find out what's in sausage. Sometimes, you don't wanna know.
        Yup. Get a leakdown tester and find out where the leak is coming from. Seems like something in the head
        Michael Spiegle

'01 Ford Escape / Daily Driver
        '99 M3 / Track Car
        '87 325is bronzit / wtf car
        '06 Daytona Triumph 675 / Daily Rider

Comment

I've got a leak down tested, but my compressor is shot so I couldn't run the test. Aiirik it burns a lot of oil, I've burned off a full quart in day of spirited driving on mtn. roads. I'd say it uses 3-4 between changes. Ya that's a lot hence why I want to fix it. In a year once I'm done with school, I plan on getting the car out on the track for DE's and what not. Of course in a year I also want to pick up a 911 to start toying with and hang onto the e30.

Comment

Originally posted by rs4pro3
            I've got a leak down tested, but my compressor is shot so I couldn't run the test. Aiirik it burns a lot of oil, I've burned off a full quart in day of spirited driving on mtn. roads. I'd say it uses 3-4 between changes. Ya that's a lot hence why I want to fix it. In a year once I'm done with school, I plan on getting the car out on the track for DE's and what not. Of course in a year I also want to pick up a 911 to start toying with and hang onto the e30.
            Wow, that's pretty nasty. I think rings are more likely the issue for oil burning. You still seem to have a problem on cyl #6, but it isn't horrible (whatever it is).

Good luck with the 911. Which particular model are you going for?
            Michael Spiegle

'01 Ford Escape / Daily Driver
            '99 M3 / Track Car
            '87 325is bronzit / wtf car
            '06 Daytona Triumph 675 / Daily Rider

Comment

I'm going to call the shop monday that put in this "rebuilt engine" and see if they have any records of the swap. I'm starting to wonder if they just threw in a junkyard engine or what.
              I'd like an 84ish 911 one with fuel injection at least. All depends on my budget and what I can find. I thought of selling the e30 but I love it to much so I'll just have to wait till I can afford both :)

Comment

damn.. any idea how many miles are on the mystery motor? What kind of stroker you thinking? Im probably going to have both my 2.7 and a 2.5 to build something out of, and im wondering if i should make a stroker.
                Old and improved:

Comment

I was told around 90,000 when I purchased the car a year ago. For me it would be a basic stroker. There isn't any easy combo out there without custom pistons, that won't ping or run like crap. Unless you can find the Euro pre 85 525e pistons.

Comment

Working...
                  X