Few M30 turbo questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Few M30 turbo questions.

So i am getting a M30 soon and need to see what the community can assist me with.

this engine will be going into a special e30 i will disclose once i get more parts for it. anyhoo here are a couple of my questions.

the engine is a M30B35 and was KAMotors M30. I have a new crank for it. for the swap i know i can use the M20 harness or the M30 harness. what would you all recommend?
    Also if anyone can assist with this. I would like to know the port size of the M88 individual throttle bodies compared to a S38B35/B36 throttle bodies. ( yes one of those will be installed on the engine.
    I also need to know the best radiator to use with this build. I want to make sure the engine will stay cool.
    Note: the engine will be turbo charged as well.
    Float like a cadillac sting like a Bimmer!:)

sigpic

M20 and M30 harnesses are identical, M30 is probably easier.

I haven't had overheating issues with an e28 535 radiator but a mishimoto would be better. you can fit a MUCH thicker radiator if you go wasted spark AND get a distributor plate delete. I would 100% do this, the spark is MUCH stronger as well.

I use an M60 throttlebody, which is >3.5" bore. If you're doing a flipped manifold i recommend a big V8 throttle body and 3" charge piping since it adds to plenum volume, which the M30 lacks in stock configuration.

Also this is obvious but megasquirt or go home
    '89 335is +turbo

Comment

I plan on a coil on plug system because I think its awesome. So the destributor delete is on the list. And I'll more than likely get the mishimoto radiator just for the extra security.

sigpic

Comment

I'm using 55 pin m20 harness with (Whowho) mega squirt.

M88 b35 46mm itbs

S36 b36 48mm itbs

S38 b38. 50mm itbs

I'm using e28 radiator. I will be using oil cooler.
        Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

Thanks raul.

So when putting the M30 in the furthest back position, Is there anything that needs to be removed as far as climate control to fit the M30 because I want to retain all the climate control stuff.

sigpic

Comment

No, you should be able to keep all of your climate control stuff. You can possibly keep A/C too, depending on how thick your radiator is. An e28 535i rad will allow you to keep A/C, but if you go with wasted spark and a thicker aftermarket rad, you may not be able to fit the compressor.

You'll also need a very large (minimum 16") electric fan to keep it all cool.

Comment

Working...
            X