Questions for you turbo m30 guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions for you turbo m30 guys

I'm in the process of working out my FMIC setup and ran in to a few Qs that I'm hoping some of you turbo folks can help with.

-IC core size. I've found a bar & plate design that I like, core size is 21 x 5.5 x 2.5. Seem big enough?

-Would 2" IC piping be too small? The m106 turbo outlet is 2", as is the intake tube. Plus I have a lot of 2" pipe and couplers already. I'd like to reuse what I can, but am I shooting myself in the foot with small-ish pipes?

-BOV size. Is a 25mm port BOV large enough for an engine/pipe setup like this?

- Manifold vacuum source(s). I need at least 3 "signals" for the MAP sensor, boost controller, and boost gauge. m20s have that nice little plate on the manifold, but no such luck on m30s. Where did you guys go for your vacuum signal? Drill+tap the manifold, or use one of the existing ports for the FPR or brake booster and tee off?

- Does the IAT sensor on an MS2 setup go before or after the turbo?

- SInce the m30 has the intake/exhaust on the same side of the engine, piping is a little wonky. I found this OEM Saab designed IC that actually fits the bill nicely, but it's small and would have limited capacity: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151854256470...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT. There's an aftermarket version made in Sweden that has a much larger core and more capacity: http://shop.klracing.se/sv/artiklar/...crossflow.html. But I'm unsure about the same-side inlet/outlet design as far as flow/efficiency goes. Any input?
    Last edited by CorvallisBMW; 11-17-2015, 08:03 AM.

I'll drop some knowledge on the general questions and leave the rest to m30 folk.

You won't know if 25mm is too small until you try it honestly. If you hear surge after coming off throttle, it's too small.
    I have an HKS for my m20 pushing 16psi and I think it's too small..

I would T-off my MS and boost controller without a thought - Everything else deserves it's own vac signal, but isn't required.

IAT goes after the turbo, on the charge piping, before the throttle body. I put mine on the cold side of my charge piping near my intercooler to avoid it being heat-soaked after shutting off the car as I've read ppl having start issues from that and wanted to avoid it.

GL. You're going to love your car on standalone.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

I went ahead and ordered a Turbosmart 25mm BOV and the 21" intercooler. Parts should be here tomorrow so hopefully some progress this weekend!

Comment

sub'd
        Originally posted by flyboyx
        i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

Comment

Working...
        X