Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M30 help, using 027 AFM w/ 179 ECU possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M30 help, using 027 AFM w/ 179 ECU possible?

So, I got my M30 swap up and running and it has a real high idle. After it warms up to 150*F, it starts to have a loping idle. If I slightly unplug the AFM, it idles normally, but pushing the throttle makes it stutter then rev. Power seems limited as well.

I used my late model M20 harness and I have a 179 ECU and a 027 afm. I'm thinking there's some reversed wires on the afm plug.

Expert help greatly appreciated as I'm no electrician.
    Support my E30 addiction! Buy my Wideband/Voltmeter Check Panels
    HERE

1990 Flachalpinweiß 335i

When I say slightly unplug, I mean that I believe part of the plug is still plugged in allowing the afm to operate partially.
    HERE

1990 Flachalpinweiß 335i

Comment

Is the 027 AFM the e34 one? If not, the easiest thing to do is grab an AFM from an e32 / e34 and it will be plug and play with the M20 harness.
      My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

It is. I pulled it with the motor.
        HERE

1990 Flachalpinweiß 335i

Comment

which TPS you using?
          Originally posted by flyboyx
          i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

Comment

M30 B35 that was on the motor when I pulled it. Known to be working. I read a lot of threads where people had a similar issue and they checked the TPS, but none really ever reported that as the issue. With the AFM unplugged it idles well but seems rich and throttle response is horrible.
            HERE

1990 Flachalpinweiß 335i

Comment

Afaik you need to reverse your tps signal wires, as your m20 harness is currently reading the tps signal as wot with a m30 tps and 179 ecu.

I ran into a similar issue with my swap.

Others may be able to clarify a little more in detail. I'm still half asleep
              Originally posted by flyboyx
              i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

Comment

I put my m20 TPS on, but what did you do to mount it since the idle position puts the mounting holes out of line?
                HERE

1990 Flachalpinweiß 335i

Comment

Disregard that, the m20 TPS I have operates clockwise and the m30 one is counter clockwise. M20 TPS part number ends with 321 and m30 ends with 320.
                  HERE

1990 Flachalpinweiß 335i

Comment

I'm still pretty sure it is AFM related and I have not checked the wiring diagrams on that yet, but I will. I swapped the WOT and Idle signal wires for my TPS because the 320 part number TPS I am using required that...I am also using my 90 325i engine harness.

I'm still having an idle issue, but it has changed. I fire up the car and let it idle. After a few seconds the idle gradually climbs to red line and I have to shut it down. If I tap the throttle, the RPM drop back down to normal idle for a few seconds and then returns to the rising rate. Its running incredibly rich.

Any ideas fellas?
                    HERE

1990 Flachalpinweiß 335i

Comment

So, does anyone have a spare TPS and AFM I can borrow to test with my 179 DME? Really need to figure out this issue so I can sell my trick and get out from under the $600 payment.
                      HERE

1990 Flachalpinweiß 335i

Comment

If it is one or the other or both, I'll buy both off you. Also, I'm using the M20 O2 sensor. Would that affect the continually rising idle issue?
                        HERE

1990 Flachalpinweiß 335i

Comment

Also should note that I have performed the stomp test and received no codes...
                          HERE

1990 Flachalpinweiß 335i

Comment

If I unplug the AFM, it idles at 2k RPM. No matter what it runs extremely rich. Checked for Vacuum leaks a dozen times. Purchased Frank's swap manual, no help. Can't believe I'm getting no responses anymore.
                            HERE

1990 Flachalpinweiß 335i

Comment

So, Just replaced the AFM and I'm still having this issue. I have checked fir vacuum leaks dozens of times, replaced the ICV, replaced the TPS. Reversed wires, swapped them back. I have no clue what the deal is.

If the timing is off between the crank damper and the cam, can that be the issue?
                              HERE

1990 Flachalpinweiß 335i

Comment

Working...
                              X