Rebuilt M30 piston slap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuilt M30 piston slap

Well guys, I'm a little demoralized. After a spirited drive last night, my freshly, rebuilt and broken in M30 started making some very interesting noises. I do believe it's piston slap as it seems to go away mostly when the engine is warm and I'm not having any loss on oil pressure. However, when it's cold it makes a very loud knocking noise and it sounds pretty terrible. I can actually "feel" the knock through the clutch pedal. The engine is a B34 with B35 pistons. The pistons were given to the machine shop when the block was honed. Pistons had a little bit of wear on the side skirts but nothing excessive... The other thing it could possibly is a loose flywheel.... The engine was recently removed from the car and torn down for post break in inspection. Everything appeared as it should. I really don't want to have to pull the motor or trans again (it'll be about the 10th time I've pulled it), but I guess I will if I have to. Going to drain the oil today and see what it looks like.

Is there any way to tell if it's piston slap without pulling the engine? Worst case, the motor is screwed, but at least I have a spare B35 lower end... Thanks for reading.
    = Heidi 1988 325 -> 335i. 7200rpm built M30

You might try going old school with some type of stethoscope such as a metal tube or something to try and better isolate where the noise is coming from.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Used my stethoscope but couldn't pinpoint the noise exactly.... HOWEVER, I freaking Jesus nut at the front of the crank was loose!!! It was very close to backing all the way off. The noise is gone but I did let the engine warm up for about 10 minutes. Going to let it cool and see what happens when I try to start it again. I can hear the noise best when I crank the starter motor and the engine isn't running.

Comment

yeah, uh, you don't want that nut to be loose
        cars beep boop

Comment

Well, it isnt making the noise anymore. Lol. Hopefully it doesn't come back. Ever.

Comment

Working...
          X