X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M30 : Dipstick Tube Replacement

How is it done?
    ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

I'm doing this as well since I managed to bend my dipstick tube. It is just press fitted in there. Mine came out with some twisting since it was already bent, but I've read to put something inside to prevent it from collapsing (a drill bit wrapped in tape) grip it with vice grips and twist and pull it out.

As far as installation I haven't gotten that far, but apparently there is an o ring in there? And it just presses in. It will probably be an extremely tight fit.
    Originally posted by LJ851
    I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

Take out the bolt on the support bracket then just twist and yank by hand and it will come out. No need to pry or brace anything.

Yes, there is an o-ring in there which is what makes it difficult to move for the first time.
      m106 1990 e30
      e36 daily
      e32 cruiser

Comment

And reinstall is just that simple? ? Advice on not busting or bending the tube?

Comment

Mine didn't have an o ring when I pulled it out, or at least I couldn't find one. Realoem also has the o ring blanked out so I couldn't find a part number, so it makes me think it doesn't have one at all.
          Originally posted by LJ851
          I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

Mine does have the o-ring. I can measure it for you this evening since my tube it currently out if you need the size.
            If you are doing it by hand its unlikely you will bend or break the tube, spray some lube in there before removing then lightly oil the o-ring when re-assembling just as you would an oil filter.
            m106 1990 e30
            e36 daily
            e32 cruiser

Comment

Please measure the ring and maybe the motor specs/date... see if there was a rework or reconsideration along the way to have/not have.

It really press fits in by hand???

Comment

Will do. I have both an early and a late m30 in my garage so I'll see if one of them doesn't have an o-ring
                m106 1990 e30
                e36 daily
                e32 cruiser

Comment

LMK about the install, too, please.

Comment

Some wiggling of the tube shows minimal progress. It feels as if the engine could be lifted with the tube; it is in there tight.

Comment

Working...
                    X