Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M30 guys with Auto TPS: Hood clearance issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M30 guys with Auto TPS: Hood clearance issues?

Anyone else have this problem? My AT TPS sits much "higher" than the MT TPS, due to the larger plug. Even with the hood insulation removed, it presses against the underside of the hood and it made a dent :curse:

Nope no problems here.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

dang I never thought it was that close, my early M30B34 auto uses a TPS thats the same size as the manual TPS but its likely not variable Id guess. I have 2 dents in my hood from My M30 as well lol.

7speedshop.com

Comment

Got good clearance on my car but that's that's with a CF hood.
        Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

I've had no clearance issues - but run the manual TPS that looks like the M20 one.

I don't suppose there's a way to mod it so you could run it 180degrees out, so the connector points down?
          My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

THe manual TPS fits fine, it's the bug auto one with the 7-pin connector that gets wonky.

I don't know that I can rotate it 180* because the TB shaft has a notch in it that keys the TPS to just one position. I might be able to dissect the plug and make some kind of custom one that has a very low profile, since I'm only using 3 of the 7 wires.

Comment

The low profile plug sounds a good idea.

I really don't understand why BMW made the TPS plugs point up like they do on the M20 / M30. Presumably it's so water could drain out of the plug if it got wet?

The injector loom has a similar plug to your TPS under the inlet manifold so having one of those plugs screwing in from underneath isn't a problem there (although mine has worked loose before, so maybe that's the issue they were trying to avoid?!)
              My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Fixed: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...&postcount=587

Comment

Nice fix.
                  Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                  X