m30 turbo, safe boost levels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m30 turbo, safe boost levels?

So I have a dyno tuning appointment in exactly 2 weeks with a very reputable shop here in Portland. Of course one of their first questions is, 'what are your goals?'. I was initially thinking either 10psi or 300whp, which both seem fairly attainable. But I'm new to this whole turbo thing, so I wanted to get input/feedback from you guys. Does 10psi sound reasonable on a totally stock m30b35 if it's tuned well on a dyno?

Also should I get a colder plug? I'm running the plain ol' Bosch WR8LC+ now.

I would think you should be okay with 10 psi. iirc Otis is on a stock bottom end and mildly built head. My only concern would be not having arp head studs and an MLS head gasket if you decide to go up higher in psi. Also keep in mind though the M106 turbo has a funky compressor wheel and to go above I think 10 or 12 psi requires machining and adapting a different compressor wheel. TDC sells the upgraded turbo for like 600 believe.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

For the stock turbo 10psi should be the limit, keep an eye on the IAT's, if they start to climb 20-30* above ambient you've passed the compressor efficiency and just blowing hot air.
      I would aim for a safe tune rather than going for a #.
      Need a Turbo manifold? We have them in stock- Click here---> http://rapidspoolindustries.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Good & Tight View Post
        For the stock turbo 10psi should be the limit, keep an eye on the IAT's, if they start to climb 20-30* above ambient you've passed the compressor efficiency and just blowing hot air.
        I would aim for a safe tune rather than going for a #.
        Good to know, I'll make sure to point that out to them when they're tuning. Thanks!

Comment

subscribed.
          update with results and numbers!

:)
          Originally posted by flyboyx
          i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

Comment

Working...
          X