Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those of you who have done engine swaps.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those of you who have done engine swaps.....

For anybody who has done an engine swap, have you reported it to DMV (especially if you have gone to a larger displacement engine) to get the title changed? or anything like that? or do you just say...

FUCK IT...what they don't know won't kill them...
    Recent Rebranding!!
    Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
    E30 SM62/S62
    E30 M60 V8
    E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
    Instagram.com/garageaholic
    Youtube.com/garageaholic

I've done the UK equivalent, telling the DVLA about the new engine number and capacity.

Of course ALL modifications have been declared to my insurance company as well.

Comment

Ouch.
      Recent Rebranding!!
      Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
      E30 SM62/S62
      E30 M60 V8
      E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
      Instagram.com/garageaholic
      Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Over here all you have to do is to amend the details of your log book(title ?) and send it off, it doesn't cost any thing to change over.

My insurance isn't to bad 330 pounds per year for third party, fire and theft cover, mind i am an old git(32) and i have 9 years no claims bonus which helps.

Is changing the title with DMV a PITA or costly then ? Sorry i might be misunderstanding the differances between my country's systems and yours.

Comment

Originally posted by E30/M30
          Over here all you have to do is to amend the details of your log book(title ?) and send it off, it doesn't cost any thing to change over.
          Since you won't be changing the VIN or the bodystyle, there is no real "changes" to be made to the title, except the engine displacement.

My insurance isn't to bad 330 pounds per year for third party, fire and theft cover, mind i am an old git(32) and i have 9 years no claims bonus which helps.
          Not too bad. I pay a little less that that for basic liability, unensured coverage and a small bump over minimum on personal damage...but I am 42.

Is changing the title with DMV a PITA or costly then ? Sorry i might be misunderstanding the differances between my country's systems and yours.
          In Oregon, a change to anything on the title is $57. If you are a fan of Primus, listen to the song on "Pork Soda" about the DMV.

To answer M3fans question, I have done a couple of "illegal" engine swaps. I did them kind of sneaky...I lied and said it came that way when I bought it. Basically, I bought a shell and added the motor I wanted, then titled it. Never had a question asked.

GL!
          Luke

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

-Dang it! I pay $1150 every six months! :sad:
            1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

It is alot easier when changing from a m20b20 to a m20b25/b27 etc cause the engines are pretty much the same, to noobs.

Ummm yeah........Mr officer it's just a 2L.
              maybe alittle different when going m20 to m30.

Comment

fuck it here.

Comment

so your legally obliged to tell them, man thats gay. will it affect your insurance much if say you swap to an s52? your not gunna hafta pay sports car premiums are you?
                  fuck the man
                  what about emissions?
                  are u safe as long as u keep the cats charc canistor etc? i live in an area where u hafta get your car tested

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

This is how I look at it:
                    It's still 6 cylinders. Screw it.

HOWEVER, after my car is finished, I might get some different insurance to see if I can protect my investment better than liability. But until my car rates such treatment, I'll just wonder if there is such a thing.
                    Slicktop City!

Comment

Originally posted by X2theZ3
                      fuck it here.
                      I had no issue getting my V8 Astro passed in CA. Just gotta use a newer engine than the car came with, and have all the smog crap that it (the engine, not the chassis) had when new.

Closing SOON!
                      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Working...
                      X