New motor for 318i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New motor for 318i

I have a 1984 318i that the motor is well ... had it, the block is cracked around the head bolt holes etc.
    What motor can I use to replace it that will give me a bit more grunt and be able to run on unleaded fuel. The trans is a 5 speed manual. I presume a similar 318 motor will be ok, but how new a model can I go to so I can get a more modern engine without too many problems with the swap.
    Thanks for any advice.

Jeremy

How much you willing to spend?
    Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
    EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
    FullOpp Stickers for sale!
    NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
    Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
    ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

I would not want to spend too much as the car is not worth too much. I just like the car and would hate to junk it. I would spend around $1000 or so happily.
      Jeremy

Comment

for that budget, you're talking about a same-as-factory replacement installed, by the time you buy all the gaskets & etc you'll need to do the remove&replace.

if you'd like a pipe dream, see if you can find a 2002tii block. assuming your head is okay, you'll get a bump in both displacement and compression ratio- but i wouldn't hold your breath, given the age and production numbers on tii's.

probably best to find a mid-80s 318i engine with good compression numbers, because even going to an m20b25 (325i motor) will probably cost you more than that, all told.

oh, and make sure the problem that fuxored your engine in the first place is fixed while you're doing this...
        past:
        1989 325is (learner shitbox)
        1986 325e (turbo dorito)
        1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
        1985 323i baur
        current:
        1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Thanks DK,
          I intend to do all the work myself so that is not an issue. The $1000 or so was just for parts.
          I am not sure how late a model 318 engine I can put in which will bolt up to my tranny and not cause too many installation issues (engine mounts, clearance problems).
          The heating problem that stuffed the motor in the first place has been fixed. The motor was on the way out anyway with a bunch of piston slap etc. The person I got the car off had the motor rebuilt and they did not replace the pistons and left too much clearance. It rattled when cold, but was ok when hot.
          If I changed to a 325 motor, would I not have to update the rear brakes, front suspension etc.
          Thanks for you advice. I will see what motors are available locally today.
          Jeremy

Comment

Working...
          X