1986 m30 swap, what should I do R3V?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1986 m30 swap, what should I do R3V?

Hey there, been a member on here for years now. I sold my s52 swapped sedan two years or so ago. I now drive a 1991 sedan, stock, and I do not know how I let this happen to me.

The point of this thread... what should I do?

My friend has a 1986 635..? or something he says that runs but needs work. I am tempted to swap my sedan with the big 3.5 I have heard so much about.

Is the 1986 m30 a good motor to swap? Or do I need to find a newer one if I am going to go through the swap hassle. I understand the m30 swap to be very straight forward. Buy custom mount arms, do small wiring altercations, longer throttle cable, custom exhaust, wam bam your done.

So lets here opinions and what ever else you want to throw my way.
    View my build thread. http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=287724

I believe I used the existing E30 throttle cable. What are your goals and budget? What is your skill level? A strong B34 is certainly an upgrade in some respects but not in others.

We need more info to advise.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

I've had my m30b35 in my car for 18mths now & absolutely love it, mild head work(refreshed & a 284cam) & miller MAF. The m30 is a charming motor the torque curve hits with some force & will put a smile on your face.

The swap itself is very simple with some massaging of the firewall recommended to position it better.

Comment

My goals: to replace the 200k warn and squeallly m20 with something more fun, and with a fresh set of gaskets.

My experience: I did a full s52 swap into a 318i sedan, the only part I did not personally do was the wiring harness conversion.

Budget: I want to do it cheap. As the donor 1986 shark would only cost a few hundred bucks. Then Id like to buy a temp sensor, motor mounts, electric fan, throttle cable, and be done with it.. Is this possible essentially?

Comment

Anyone out there? I went and looked at the car last night briefly in the dark. The intake manifold had 3.2/3.4 on it.

What am I dealing with? Is this motor to long?

Comment

B34's are ok. Going from an I to a b34 is +15 hp +50tq(roughly) b35 has another 40hp.

I loved my b34 swapped car, had plenty of torque but 3rd and 4th up top takes a long time to gain revs

Have you made a purchase from www.blunttech.com recently?
            sigpic<< wrecked

Comment

I just got done rebuilding the b34 for my car. They are a great swap.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
              1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
              Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
              Mtech 2 turbo restoration
              Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

A light flywheel of around 15 lbs. makes a difference. I suggest machining down the one that came with the shark. What diff ratio are you planning on?
                Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Is your car a late model (88+) or early model? That will determine whether you want a b34 or b35. b34 motors are Motronic 1.1 and easy to swap in to M1.1 e30s. b35 motors are M1.3 and easy to swap in to M1.3 e30s.

Comment

Working...
                  X