my e30 m30 project!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my e30 m30 project!!!!

It has begun. i pulled the m30 out of my 91 535i two days ago and i just finished pulling the m20 out of my 1986 325 tonight. I'm waiting for the e30.de mounts in the mail as well as the e28 radiator and some other odds and ends. i should have the motor cleaned up and put in by the end of next week. i have a few questions for those of you who have done this. the mechanical fit doesn't seem too hard to me but the electrical has me somewhat perplexed. in terms of the plugs that are supposed to plug together from the existing e30 m20 plug to the m30 plug which side comes from which section. is it the male from the m30 and female from the e30 chassis or is it the female from the m30 and the male from the e30 chassis.
    here are some pics of what i mean if you guys could check out what your setup is i would appreciate it.
    which one of these plugs out of the 91 535i chassis (m30) do i need (if any)

this is the plug on the e30 chassis right now... it comes out of the fuse box and it is a female connection.

The problem is that i have the harness that hooks up to the m30 ecu that i am pulling through the firewall but there are only female harnesses coming from the m30 motor so they won't hook up to the current e30 mounts.

any help is greatly appreciated
    1990 325i - Brilliantrot, 3.73 LSD, H&R Race Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, 4300k HIDs, Rebuilt with Metric Blue Head bolts, Planning turbo with MS by end of the year...
    2006 R6 - Raven, Driven 520 1,2 Chain Conversion, 6000k HID's, DB Screen, Heated Grips, GYTR CF Slip-on, Fender Eliminator, Flush mounts
    (wife's)
    1992 325i - Alpineweiss II, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, 18" M6 Replica Wheels, 6000k HID's, Angel Eyes, Blacked out Kidneys, 20% Tint

here are some pics just for fun to show off the progress

The donor car looking empty and sad... :(

here is the m30 patiently waiting install.
    in my e34 i had already done the JC chip, 19lb design 2 (4 nozzle) injectors, SPEC stage 3 clutch, JBRacing Lightweight Flywheel, polished throttle body...

the e30 just prior to taking the little m20 out (this will be for sale locally)

on its way out!!!! Pops came out to lend a hand and a few choice words mostly "You are nuts!"

I was tired after doing 90% of the pull myself.

and finally the token motor swap pic

1990 325i - Brilliantrot, 3.73 LSD, H&R Race Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, 4300k HIDs, Rebuilt with Metric Blue Head bolts, Planning turbo with MS by end of the year...
    2006 R6 - Raven, Driven 520 1,2 Chain Conversion, 6000k HID's, DB Screen, Heated Grips, GYTR CF Slip-on, Fender Eliminator, Flush mounts
    (wife's)
    1992 325i - Alpineweiss II, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, 18" M6 Replica Wheels, 6000k HID's, Angel Eyes, Blacked out Kidneys, 20% Tint

Comment

(wife's)

Comment

also which electric fan are you guys using??
        (wife's)

Comment

Originally posted by devinwwu

I just used some random scrap yard fan which was OK but i've got an E32 aux fan on its way.

E30 air con fan is supposed to be an easy fit ?

Comment

Devin, I am gonna hafta come up to SeaTown and get you to take me for a spin in that beast. I am dying to feel just how much the extra weight changes things.

Especially since I have an early M30 (the high compression one) available for $100...Hmmmmmm...

Luke

Closing SOON!
            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

totally man! I'll be going to all the cca club drives and such that i can make, so if you are active at all with them i'll for sure see you around.

i still have the e30 A/C fan. will this work well enough to cool off the bigger engine?
              (wife's)

Comment

Originally posted by devinwwu
                I actually ran no fan at all, except for the clutch fan i believe, but if you wanted to be sligh you could tap your A/C fan into the radiator.

Comment

any thoughts on the engine harness plugs??
                  (wife's)

Comment

I have no idea with the plugs, I havent got there yet with my m30 swap. I will very soon, though. Right now I am more concentrating on finshing the motor mounts.
                    01 325Ci
                    87 325iS w/ M30B35 swap

Comment

I'm using a slim SPAL fan wired into my MS-II system. They are cheap and have excellent cooling capability. Just make sure its pushing in front of the rad or pulling behind it. Stupid but easy mistake to make.

Comment

how easy is it to run MS, i am thinking about doing that because the turbo is most definitely in the future plans for this car...
                        (wife's)

Comment

If you can do this swap you can put together MS. I bought the assembled relay board and labeled wiring. Fuel wire is easy with tons of correct info out there. EDIS-6 for spark was not easy. Much of the info is incorrect on the net so it takes some trial and error.

Since you have the later m30 the VR sensor is already there. Just setup with the 60-1 wheel.

I haven't started tuning yet because I have no clutch but I hear its the hardest part by a mile. Find someone with a good m20 base map and mod it. I'm relying on good & tight to help me out when the time comes.

Comment

Working...
                          X