Electric cooling fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric cooling fans

What kind of CFM do we really need when searching for an aftermarket pusher-type fan? How much air does the stock clutch fan move? I realize that an electric pusher would need to be more cfm than a pull type clutch fan, but, in all reality, what kind of CFM do we really need to be looking fo? Is 2000 cfm really over-doing it? I think this is a broad question, because I want to get an electric pusher, and then fit an oil cooler either right between the fan and the radiator, or put it on the engine side of the radiator, with the fan in front. Discuss.

I ran a 16" 3600cfm pusher fan on my m30 swapped car, never had any problems at all with it. I also know people who have just ran the stock aux fan on a switch and that it works just fine.
    85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Originally posted by rs4pro3 View Post
      I ran a 16" 3600cfm pusher fan on my m30 swapped car, never had any problems at all with it. I also know people who have just ran the stock aux fan on a switch and that it works just fine.

I can't believe the aux fan worked, lol. I tried running the aux fan only on my E28 535i, and that didn't work, lol, AT ALL. Overheated right after pulling out of my friends driveway. What cfm does gthe aux fan put out, any idea? I'm basically looking for the minimum cfm that would be acceptable to properly cool the engine/radiator/oil cooler, even if the car sat and idled for 2 hours. Thanks.

Comment

I have no idea what the stock fan does.

Comment

where'd you find a 3600 cfm fan to fit the e30?? and its a pusher!!! i need this fan, i'm still overheating in traffic with 2950 cfm 14" and heater on full
          1990 325i - Brilliantrot, 3.73 LSD, H&R Race Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, 4300k HIDs, Rebuilt with Metric Blue Head bolts, Planning turbo with MS by end of the year...
          2006 R6 - Raven, Driven 520 1,2 Chain Conversion, 6000k HID's, DB Screen, Heated Grips, GYTR CF Slip-on, Fender Eliminator, Flush mounts
          (wife's)
          1992 325i - Alpineweiss II, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, 18" M6 Replica Wheels, 6000k HID's, Angel Eyes, Blacked out Kidneys, 20% Tint

Comment

Originally posted by devinwwu View Post
            where'd you find a 3600 cfm fan to fit the e30?? and its a pusher!!! i need this fan, i'm still overheating in traffic with 2950 cfm 14" and heater on full

Really? On an M20? And did you build a shroud for it as well? I bet that would help immensly. I think I"m going to once I get my electric fan setup built.

So, so far the consensus is that 3000 cfm is the bare minimum neccessary?

Comment

m30
              1990 325i - Brilliantrot, 3.73 LSD, H&R Race Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, 4300k HIDs, Rebuilt with Metric Blue Head bolts, Planning turbo with MS by end of the year...
              2006 R6 - Raven, Driven 520 1,2 Chain Conversion, 6000k HID's, DB Screen, Heated Grips, GYTR CF Slip-on, Fender Eliminator, Flush mounts
              (wife's)
              1992 325i - Alpineweiss II, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, 18" M6 Replica Wheels, 6000k HID's, Angel Eyes, Blacked out Kidneys, 20% Tint

Comment

Originally posted by devinwwu View Post
                m30
                ahh. That makes more sence. M30's need big fans, the aux fan definitely wont' keep an M30 cool, lol.

Comment

It should. Im still using my orginal e30 electric on my m30. Using two thermosistors, one on each side of the thermostat. I wired in the factory relay units for high and low fan speed settings to control the electric fan.

I have had no problems except for when i removed the a/c radiator. I kept the fan mounted in the same place. But with the removal of the a/c raditor core, the air was not forced anymore. This resulted in over heating in traffic on hot days. So to combat this problem, i got some sheet metal and made a sherold(sp?) to fill in the gap that the a/c raditor left. Problem solved.

Comment

hmmm. Interesting. Well, does anybody know what the cfm output of the OEM aux fan might be near?

Comment

ya My AC was removed on the m30 car also, with the fan right up tight against the radiator.

Comment

Working...
                      X