..solid motor mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

..solid motor mounts

has anyone tried these mounts.. i ordered a set . i figured worse case if they are too harsh i can cut them in half on the lathe and make a poly insert for em.. your thoughts.

Comfort :: performance ratio I can't think of a good reason to go solid over poly.
    Harshness of ride is just one reason out of a number that I wouldn't choose solid for any e30.
    I think if you wanted poly you should have gone poly, but let us know how they feel when you're done because I am interested in the difference.
    Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!

Comment

ill let u know.. the m20 runs sooo smooth even with my junk mounts.. well see how it goes

Comment

both of my mounts are sheared.
        I couldn't figure out why my intake mani was getting all scuffed up, that's probably the reason.

Anyway, I'm going to order poly today.
        If you're ever around OC or at a meet, we'll have to check each other's out because I have no reference as I'm sure the mounts have been shot since I bought it.

I was so tempted to just go with the $7 OEM, or $20 beefier ones from a 5er.
        But my dad reminded me that I'm not going to want to do this job again so I caved ;) But damn that's a price premium!

Comment

Originally posted by smooth View Post
          both of my mounts are sheared.
          I couldn't figure out why my intake mani was getting all scuffed up, that's probably the reason.

Anyway, I'm going to order poly today.
          If you're ever around OC or at a meet, we'll have to check each other's out because I have no reference as I'm sure the mounts have been shot since I bought it.

I was so tempted to just go with the $7 OEM, or $20 beefier ones from a 5er.
          But my dad reminded me that I'm not going to want to do this job again so I caved ;) But damn that's a price premium!
          i was looking at the poly as well.. but i figured these were cheaper and they look great. like i said worse case i can coutner sink delerin on both sides of the mount if it vibrates too much.. ill let u know

Comment

Solid mounts, or high durometer urethane mounts, have been known to tear out the subframe side. Turner has a weld in reinforcement.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Yeah, my old mounts were both sheared. The subframe is a bit distorted too. I think stock is gonna be fine for me. If these fail, it is 5er mounts in the future.

I may swap to the 5er mounts anyway when I swap subframes. The new one is "modded" to reinforce the sway mounts and the motor mounts. Also has 120,000 less miles on it.

As far as the aluminum ones go, why would you choose to use a "race only" product on a street car? Or is this a track car? If so, why not use the solid mounts?

Luke

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

we run a simalar mount in the volkswagen world but the mount is 3pcs.. billet top poly center then billet bottom. if these are too harsh then ill cut em up and make a center for em plus i think the bmw driveline noise is delightful

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                  is this a track car? If so, why not use the solid mounts?
                  The main reason I wouldn't use these, even in a race application, is that they're bound to rattle bits right off one's car...eventually. Our hardware is 20 years old, unless anyone's done a ground up resto.

He'll probably find bits and pieces in his driveway he didn't even know existed over time! But this is my conjecture, I don't know it to be fact. I'm under the impression that motor mounts serve multiple purposes...one of them being dampening vibration from the engine (and tranny) to the frame.

Comment

I had solid mounts in some of my cars but they was v8 muscle cars and i loved them. I'd stick with stock rubber mounts or put in some urethane mounts, if it is a street car.

1992 BMW 325iC
                    1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

yeah my buddy put solid tranny mounts in and the car rattled like a motherfucker. sounded hellatight though

Comment

Urethane for sure. Metal mounts just seem like they would be destined to break either the subframe or the motor mount bracket... Plus the vibration, oh god, even though it's an I6, you'll probaby want them out of there within a week.
                        '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

Originally posted by euroshark View Post
                          Urethane for sure. Metal mounts just seem like they would be destined to break either the subframe or the motor mount bracket... Plus the vibration, oh god, even though it's an I6, you'll probaby want them out of there within a week.
                          im just gonna run the motor mounts and not the trans mounts.... well see.

Comment

Originally posted by euroshark View Post
                            ok i got them and installed them today.. well for one my old mount were shot lol the oil pan was literally on the steering rack. Like i figured the bmw is super smooth and the only vibration i feel is a little bit through the steering wheel at idle( doesnt bother me at all) i give these mounts a thumbs up ( mind u i only installed the motor mounts and not the trans mounts..

Comment

that's awesome. that means my poly bushings should rock!

Comment

Working...
                              X