Alright M30 guys, I'm sick of this overheating issue....

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Garageaholic
    replied
    Wow, what a difference. I can't get it past 1/2 even if i let it idle for 10 minutes in 60 degree weather. I am very impressed with the results. Thanks alot for the help guys and I think that this thread is great reference for anybody having the same problem because I re-bled it on an incline and that helped alot too.

    Leave a comment:


  • Garageaholic
    replied
    Oh okay guys. Thanks. I'm going to re-wire the fan after work and hopefully it will cool the engine with the fan in the correct position as much as it heated it up in the opposite position.

    Leave a comment:


  • E30/M30
    replied
    Originally posted by M3fan4eva
    Wow, i'm a dumbass. Turns out that when I had re-wired my electric fan, I used a relay so the circuit can handle the bigger amperage, I had wired it up backwards and the fan was blowing air in the forward direction, away from the radiator.

    **Putting my flame suit on, getting ready for some serious flame-throwing action***
    I was going to suggest that but decided against it, easy mistake to make. At least it should have cured your problem ?

    BTW, don't worry about that heater hose, mines very similar.

    Leave a comment:


  • 325Projectz
    replied
    shit happens

    Leave a comment:


  • Garageaholic
    replied
    Holy shit...I'm a dumbass

    Wow, i'm a dumbass. Turns out that when I had re-wired my electric fan, I used a relay so the circuit can handle the bigger amperage, I had wired it up backwards and the fan was blowing air in the forward direction, away from the radiator.

    **Putting my flame suit on, getting ready for some serious flame-throwing action***

    Leave a comment:


  • euroshark
    replied
    Whoa, we need to get E30M30 stickers!!!

    And I think even though you may have an air bubble, I wouldn't count on it being in a hose towards the firewall. Definitely try your best to get the bubbles out, but the reality is you have an M30 with a turbo!!! It's gonna run warm!! lol

    Good luck man, I hope you get it worked out.

    Leave a comment:


  • Garageaholic
    replied
    Bump

    MrK, i like your avatar. noice

    Leave a comment:


  • MrK
    replied
    Originally posted by BigD
    This is definitely not normal, I've owned several M30 5 series and an S38. They all stay dead on at half way in any kind of heat unless the fan clutch dies. It's easy to tell - there are no stupid tricks, if it's working, you'll hear a loud ass howl from the engine if you rev it even a bit.
    I'm sure all those m30 5 series cars you owned had SPACE FOR AN ENGINE FAN.:D

    My e30 doesn't. We are discussing maintaining engine temp with only the electric acc fan.

    Leave a comment:


  • Garageaholic
    replied
    Here is a picture of the possible culprit

    Here is an attached picture of the hose going from my T-stat to my heater core. It goes up and then down again over my brake booster. I think that this is where my bubble is. I'm going to see if i can re-route the hose from underneath. I know that will help immensely to get rid of the air bubble.
    The only thing that confuses me is that I still have hot heat blowing in the car...


    Opinions?
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • BigD
    replied
    This is definitely not normal, I've owned several M30 5 series and an S38. They all stay dead on at half way in any kind of heat unless the fan clutch dies. It's easy to tell - there are no stupid tricks, if it's working, you'll hear a loud ass howl from the engine if you rev it even a bit.

    Leave a comment:


  • E30/M30
    replied
    Originally posted by MrK
    That was gonna be my next step. I'll keep y'all updated on results.

    Works fine on my 335 but it's probobly not as hot here in the UK as your country.

    Leave a comment:


  • MrK
    replied
    Originally posted by E30/M30
    How about trying an E32 a/c fan ? Big fan for not too much $$$.
    That was gonna be my next step. I'll keep y'all updated on results.

    Leave a comment:


  • Garageaholic
    replied
    Sounds like an idea. Anybody have any other ideas for fans??

    Leave a comment:


  • E30/M30
    replied
    How about trying an E32 a/c fan ? Big fan for not too much $$$.

    Leave a comment:


  • MrK
    replied
    Oh I see what you mean.

    Well from personal experience, I have had my m20 in similar conditions, and it never ever got beyond the halfway point, so I'm inclined to try a stronger fan/bleed further before I proclaim that "this is how it is."

    Besides, I'm JUST on the threshold of having a stable cooling system. It takes a full hour and a half in standstill traffic for the car to overheat. I assume that a fan that is even SLIGHTLY better would do the trick!

    Leave a comment:

Working...