Alright M30 guys, I'm sick of this overheating issue....

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Garageaholic
    replied
    I put a switch in the low-amp relay circuit and can turn it on-off whenever I want. I have it fused at both loops on my relay circuit, I had burned off one 20amp fuse on the high-amp circuit, so I upped it to 25amp and it's fine now.

    Leave a comment:


  • MrK
    replied
    The fool who wired my fan ran it directly to the fuse, with NO RELAY (idiot!).

    I wired the fan to the ignition switch, put a relay in now, and all's gravy. The temp needle never crosses halfway now, even in the worst traffic jams :D Problem solved!

    Leave a comment:


  • MrK
    replied
    Advice taken. I'll look into it tomorrow morning. I'll probably end up wiring a relay just like you said. Thx for the feedback.

    Leave a comment:


  • george graves
    replied
    OHhh - stop what your doing ASAP, you're going to burn your car down.

    You'll need a relay to handel that ammount of current.

    Leave a comment:


  • MrK
    replied
    I just removed my a/c condenser, and installed a '97 'curved fin' e36 a/c fan instead of my puny one. Thing is, it's popping 30amp fuses like there's no tomorrow. In fact I will MELT a fuse if I jumper it with a copper wire.

    What amperage fuse should I put for an e36 a/c fan? Cuz 30 isn't enough.

    Leave a comment:


  • george graves
    replied
    I spent about 20 hours translating pages from e30.de before my swap. At the time I was the only one I knew in the US that had done it (but in reality there were 5-7 cars running around)..

    Some e30m30 guys (from e30.de) have crontic problems with air bubbles in the hoses. Some of the guys swear it's cause their motor is too high. Others think it's the e30 stock radiator. I say that crap - turbo guys run stock radiators heat soaked behind a IC...so size doesn't matter.

    Only thing I can tell you is what I run, a mix of e30 and e24/e28 hoses, a quality 1400 CFM "spal" fan, and BMW collant with water wetter and a e28 radiator. Get your motor as low as you can, and bleed your collant when you add it, then 5 mins later then an hour later, then 2 days later...

    All should be good.

    HTH..

    ...
    Last edited by george graves; 04-08-2007, 10:40 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • czag13
    replied
    So here's my thing: Hopefully if all goes to plan, I'll be putting together an e30m30 this summer, but am worried about overheating. Temperatures here during the summer are almost always 100+, 110+ is not too uncommon, but I don't deal too much with stop and go traffic. Am I going to have problems?

    Leave a comment:


  • Axxe
    replied
    Nah, someone had mounts forsale on here, thought they were all the same, went to bolt them up and they wouldn't mount to the block. Oh well :(.

    Leave a comment:


  • Garageaholic
    replied
    You're right, the mounts are completely different. I guess he just didn't know the difference, or accidentally ordered the wrong ones.

    Leave a comment:


  • euroshark
    replied
    I'm guessing www.e30.de

    They offer mounts for B34 engines and B35 engines. B35s have different mount bracket bosses on the passenger side of the block I believe.

    Leave a comment:


  • Garageaholic
    replied
    That's the hottest mine got. I think you should be okay. NEVER try to "pull" your car again with it that hot, baaad idea.

    Axxe - where did you get those mounts? why did you get the wrong ones? didn't know?

    Leave a comment:


  • MrK
    replied
    Originally posted by george graves
    Same - it rubs...no big deal

    you intake paint looks like its in need of a touch up sir...(I'm being an ass I know...) congrat on the swap - don't let m30's over heat...it's the death of the head...
    When you say "overheat"... is this overheating? Should I recheck compression just in case? The car still seems to pull quite strongly, and I only let it go that far once:



    Should I be worried?

    Leave a comment:


  • george graves
    replied
    Originally posted by E30/M30
    BTW, don't worry about that heater hose, mines very similar.
    Same - it rubs...no big deal

    you intake paint looks like its in need of a touch up sir...(I'm being an ass I know...) congrat on the swap - don't let m30's over heat...it's the death of the head...

    Leave a comment:


  • euroshark
    replied
    Thank god it was something that simple!!!


    LOL

    Leave a comment:


  • Axxe
    replied
    Glad to see you got your issues sorted out!!

    BTW, I just found out that I bought E23/24/28 (gen II m30) mounts that won't work with my gen 3 E34 m30 :(.

    Leave a comment:

Working...