533i to ETA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

533i to ETA?

I found a 533i for sale cheap locally, I was wondering if there are any real cons to using the 533 engine over the 3.5? are there any real problems with it over the 3.5?

umm there is no replacement for displacement. And lets not start an argument because boosting is really just increasing displacement, just putting mor displacement into a smaller space

Comment

I really by preference do not want to boost, I may end up doing it, its just not on my plan right now, I can get the engine for really cheap and I was wondering if it was a good engine to use. is it the same as the SA 333i? if so that would be cool.

Comment

The M30B32 is not a bad motor by any means. Ultimately it will make similar power to a B34, but at a higher rpm and with less torque down low. In the 533i it's good enough to have basically identical performance figures as the 535i / is, because it makes 1hp less than the 3.4 and 15 less ft/lbs in US trim.

Should be the same motor used in the SA 333i, it's a 3210cc M30, 89mm bore with an 86mm stroke.
        '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

Cool, thanks, that was the answer I was looking for!

Comment

Awesome, keep us updated on the swap!

The 533i was the fastest sedan sold in America in 1984, so the motor should be plenty of fun in a 325e chassis!

Comment

533s are a little more rev happy than 535s; less mass and lighter flywheel.

533s motronic systems were not the best, id go with a later m30 or any kind unless you plan on running another ecu system. Many owners complained of idle issues with motronic 1.1

Originally posted by vlad
              Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

The 533i actually has Motronic 1.0 Basic, the 008 ECU. I don't know about other owners' problems, but mine is trouble free, starts great, idles great, and runs great. The largest difference between the early Motronic and the later stuff is that the early ones have an idle control module, instead of the idle control being integrated into the ECU.

Note, the 533i only has the 272 cam and lightweight flywheels up to production date 4/1984. After that they got the 260 cam and standard flywheel from the 535i... But compression went up I believe. Mine is a 5/1984... Damn you, cruel world!!

Comment

i couldnt remember if it was 1.0 or 1.1 thanks.

both my 533s were 83s, hehe

Originally posted by vlad
                  Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

Ok, now I have the engine, but I need to know if the Getrag from my ETA would bolt up? will the e30.de mounts fit? thanks.

Comment

The eta transmission will not fit the M30, but the E30.de mounts will.

There's a guy named Dave Stackhouse who works here in Colorado at a shop called Bimmerhaus. He is from NE I believe, and I think he has a place out there... He is THE man when it comes to old Bimmer parts, and he may be able to hook you up with a 533i Getrag 260/5, or a 535i / 635CSi Getrag 265 or 260/6 for a fair price. If not, you should be able to find one on ebay or at a salvage yard for a couple hundred bucks or less.

Comment

Do you have a phone number for him by any chance? or a link?

Comment

Just ask to talk to Dave... Tell him Ian said to call

Comment

Thanks alot man, you know your stuff.

Comment

Working...
                            X