M70 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M70 swap

So im picking up this gutted 318 next month from a relative for free. It's a 91 318is. I have seen a couple m70 and m73 swaps, and i just want to get an idea of the work invovled. Im assuming it would be a little harder then the m50 swaps i have seen. I have a 10 thousand dollar lump sum to start. and then a steady monthly income that i can dedicate part of to the project. im not really expecting to spend more then 15-20 thousand for it. I think the hardest and most expensive thing to do is gonna be sourcing the engine and tranny. Im just trying to do something somewhat unique. Thanks for your input guys! BTW. I have seen a couple threads about it, and im not doing it for the power, i know how hard the m70 is to maintain. I have owned one before. Im really doing just to be unique. Thanks
    Turbo m30 drift car build.
    500whp or bust.
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=256525

A lot of fabrication, especially in the exhaust area would be my biggest turn off, but we know it can be done... Unfortunately, nobody here that I know of really knows any more about the specifics.
    '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

Alright. What about the drivetrain from the tranny back. What will hold up to the 330 hp. Are we talking custom driveshaft and rebuilt diff?new axles etc...? Its good to hear it will be alot of fab work. Thats my specialty =]
      Turbo m30 drift car build.
      500whp or bust.
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=256525

Comment

I think as long as the 318i has a large case differential you should be fine. There are a few M70 swaps out there, i think google is your best bet.
        '86 E30
        '05 E53 X5
        '72 Firebird
        '10 Prius
        '03 Tundra

Comment

Originally posted by stinkydriverx View Post
          Alright. What about the drivetrain from the tranny back. What will hold up to the 330 hp. Are we talking custom driveshaft and rebuilt diff?new axles etc...? Its good to hear it will be alot of fab work. Thats my specialty =]
          Try looking www.e30.de , there's some info about it. I remember that there was one project at www.e30zone.net long time ago.

Anyways, the biggest problem is that V12 is such a big engine that it takes all the space in the engine bay. Basically two biggest problems are brakebooster (hydraulic / relocate) and exhaust manifolds, all other stuff is quite straightforward.

Driveline can withstand the power, after all it's "just" ~300hp / ~500Nm.

Some pictures and data:

Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.

Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.

- E34 M5 (x 2) -
          - E30 V8 Cabrio "Kylpyamme" -
          - Alpina D10 Touring #33/94 -

+
          - E46 318i Touring -
          - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

I want to do that too.

just, uh, change the sparkplugs before you drop it in.
            Joe Funk -- Portland Oregon
            That Guy.
            03 X5. 3 liter obviously.

Comment

I have the m70 in a e30.
              not werry good clearanse. but it is ok.
              with an original m70 engine it is ok to change spark plugs, now with twin turbo no chance in hell. have to take out the turbos to change plugs :D

i use the bmw 750 rear diff also. just made an adapter so the original 325i axles would fit the diff. with the auto tranny you dont get the abbuse on the axles at starts and gear shift.
              but with twin turbo it just rip loose the tires in ewery gear. just press throttle wait for boost then it looses the traction at once :)

brake setup i just used a tilton pedal assemblies so no brake booster then..
              exhaust is no problem with an original engine. i just used som flexi pipes to easily clear the steering.

first build with original m70 and auto tranny.

this it what it look like now. with twin turbo, still original ecus and auto tranny.
              manuall tranny is waiting to get in, coming next winter manual and stand alone efi system.

Last edited by matsh; 07-31-2008, 05:40 AM.

Comment

Fuck

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
                RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

Me

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
                  RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

Sideways

Comment

I've heard those scandinavian guys are crazy with the turbos but wow!
                      I'm also digging the army green paint, aside from the decals or whatever.

Comment

Holy sheet!

Comment

Working...
                        X