M30 heat susceptibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M30 heat susceptibility

Hey guys, Ive heard from time to time the m30's can be rather heat tempermental. Tonite I was screwing around with a honda(lol) and i smelled coolant, and luckily i installed my check panel today, it popped up to check it I looked up and saw the coolant light. I quickly pulled over. Upon further investigation I found that the heater core hose split on the bottom thus loosing all my coolant. Just curious how bad these motors are on overheating, it only got up to 3/4 mark(high i know).
    -Max

M30 is very tough engine, and can take lots of abuse. But on the other hand it's a long cylinder head so it can get tricky.

Hopefully nothing is broken :)
    - E34 M5 (x 2) -
    - E30 V8 Cabrio "Kylpyamme" -
    - Alpina D10 Touring #33/94 -

+
    - E46 318i Touring -
    - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

Some of the e30 heads crack when over heated. Highest my temp has ever been is a bit over the 1/2 way mark. And that was in stop and go traffic in 101 degree temp (2 days ago)
      Originally posted by Matt-B
      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

get it bled correctly, have a fan on CONSTANTLY when you are going under 20mph. ;)
        Joe Funk -- Portland Oregon
        That Guy.
        03 X5. 3 liter obviously.

Comment

Yea its all good now, bled it correctly and just leave the fan on, she stays nice n cool now

Comment

Originally posted by TwistyTunedE30 View Post
            Yea its all good now, bled it correctly and just leave the fan on, she stays nice n cool now
            Good :)
            - E34 M5 (x 2) -
            - E30 V8 Cabrio "Kylpyamme" -
            - Alpina D10 Touring #33/94 -

+
            - E46 318i Touring -
            - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

ok, more to add to this story as of yesterday. I was heading to a local bimmer junkyard when i smelled coolant again and noticed my check panel light was on AGAIN. I pull over to find out that somehow the oem lower radiator hose had been split by the water pump pulley. Now im extremely pissed that this hapened again and was able to go across the street to advanced and get a hose with similar bends. After trimming it down so it wouldnt touch the pulley, I filled it up with coolant/water and bled it off and started driving off. On the interstated i notice that my oil pressure light came on and the car started puffing black smoke, I pull over, pop the hood and sure enough the fucking hose has a cut in it in the exact same spot. I get towed home, replace the hose a third time, making sure that there is very little slack in the hose and no possible way for it to touch the pulley. I also checked my oil and there was no coolant/oil frothyness in there. I start it back up bleed the system againand make sure everything is ok, and take it for a drive. No oil pressure light, no black smoke what so ever, no over heating. Can someone explain wtf is going on and is there a smaller pulley i can use so that i dont have to worry about cutting the hose again.

Comment

you are missing a small clip that holds the radiator hose to the front timing cover. they don't last but for one hose and usually break when you change the hose.
                oem part #11531717091 for the B34 and B35. the B34 originally came with a metal piece and was replaced with a plastic one.
                I went through hoses on the first big staight 6 I had until I figured out what I was missing. If the pulley is still wobbling it sounds like a water pump bearing going out.
                the 735 waterpump and pulley are a different style, as the fan clutch bolts onto the water pump and isn't threaded like all the other M30 styles. if you go this route, a 14" or 16" electric fan, pulling through the radiator along with about a 1/4" gap between a home made fan shoud gives you just under 1/2" of clearance between the motor and fan. if you go with 2 smaller ones you can get even closer but then have to watch for the P.S. pump belt.

Comment

Working...
                X