No announcement yet.

My 333i Swap: The beginning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright, first off, some pics, since I haven't posted decent ones in a while:

got the hood on again, i was kind of hoping that sitting in the barn would shine up the paint but all it did was get dusty ;)

clearance:

Yes, this does work. No, it's not a permanent solution. Those of you who got a b35 that just plugs in should enjoy this, it's what I had to do to downgrade my motronic:

What the hell is this and where does it go?

Finally, my personal favorite. The slave cylinder. I was under the car laughing my ass off when I saw this. This is how mature I am.

Anyway to elaborate more on what the car does. When you start it, it takes a bit of throttle to get it running, then it idles fine. However, if you try to accelerate fast or anything but an extremely slow acceleration, the car dies. If you slowly press the pedal it gets to about 3200 rpm then goes back down to idle.

I just ordered another oxygen sensor and I'm going to try to get the exhaust sorted out.
    Originally posted by LJ851
    I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by chadthestampede View Post

Damn, that is a sexy motor mount. :)

Looks good, the runability issue could be anything, I wouldn't suspect the O2 sensor though, it is bypassed when cold
      Joe Funk -- Portland Oregon
      That Guy.
      03 X5. 3 liter obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by Funkmasta View Post
        Damn, that is a sexy motor mount. :)

Looks good, the runability issue could be anything, I wouldn't suspect the O2 sensor though, it is bypassed when cold
        Sure is, YOU can have one too if you contact....oh wait.

Anyway turns out that the *33i's used their own afm, and here I am trying to use one off an 86 535i. :oops:

So when I replace it I guess i'll know if that's the problem...
        I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

The AFMs are quite different, if you need one I might have a spare for you.
          '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

alright, a new development. If i unplug the temp sensor that goes to the motronic, the motor idle's and doesn't immediately die. It idle's for 15-20 seconds before slowing down and stalling, almost like it's running out of fuel. If i plug the sensor in it immediately stalls.

is there any way to jump out the sensors or something? I really don't care about any except the gauge one, and they're obviously part of the problem.

Feedback

Comment

Throttle position sensor - is it plugged in? Are you sure it's working? Unplug it and see if anything changes. What ECU are you using?

The engine temp sensor for the ECU is critical. You might try replacing it.

Comment

Good job so far!!!
                Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by euroshark View Post
                  Throttle position sensor - is it plugged in? Are you sure it's working? Unplug it and see if anything changes. What ECU are you using?

The engine temp sensor for the ECU is critical. You might try replacing it.
                  the tps is plugged in, and i tried using a different one off another throttle body that i have and it had no effect.

do you think I could I try a temp sensor from the m20?

Feedback

Comment

One from the M20 probably won't work unless you are running the late Motronic.

What ECU are you using? Are you sure the AFM is correct for that ECU? I'm guessing you should have an 008 ECU and 016 AFM (last three digits of the part numbers). If you mix and match from different Motronic versions you can get similar problems to what you are describing.

Comment

One from the M20 probably won't work unless you are running the late Motronic.

What ECU are you using? Are you sure the AFM is correct for that ECU? I'm guessing you should have an 008 ECU and 016 AFM (last three digits of the part numbers). If you mix and match from different Motronic versions you can get similar problems to what you are describing.
                      yeah, the ecu is an 008 from an 84 533i, and I think the afm is from an 84 533 too, but whatever it's from it's an 016. I had a 535i one on before and it didn't work so well, but this one isn't doing much better.

Feedback

Comment

Ok, so you have the 533i electronic pieces, but what engine wiring harness did you use? The one from the 533i? If so, you may have an issue with the idle control, since the early motronic used a separate little green box to control all idle functions, whereas the later versions had the idle functions integrated into the ECU.

Comment

Ok, so you have the 533i electronic pieces, but what engine wiring harness did you use? The one from the 533i? If so, you may have an issue with the idle control, since the early motronic used a separate little green box to control all idle functions, whereas the later versions had the idle functions integrated into the ECU.
                          the harness is the original one from the engine: an 83 733i, and I have the idle control module plugged in as well (the car won't run without it)

Feedback

Comment

Haha.

Shit.

I'll see if I can brainstorm and come up with anything for you tomorrow...

Comment

Nice work on the swap. My brother and I are planning a b35 into a euro 323i E21.

Have you checked your fuel pressure at the rail? Make sure you have pressure within spec. I think you may be on to something with the coolant temp sensors. There are several different sensors. Thermo time switch, ECU coolant temp sensor, temp sending unit, etc. Are your sure that all of these are hooked up properly and also wired back to the harness properly?

Good work as a whole. I am enjoying your thread. Take it easy.

Comment

Nice progress. It will all be worth the effort when you drive the car and find out what torque feels like.

About the driveability (or lack there of), have you checked for vacuum leaks? Have you tried plugging that one hose that has the blue thingy on it that is in one of your pics? Aside from any wiring issues, that would be my best interwebz mechanic diagnosis.
                                Matt

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X