Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 -> M30 Wiring

Hello gents,

I'm rapidly approaching the point of getting the engine into the engine bay on my M30 swap and I had a question about the wiring. I'm working with an odd duck platform (M42 powered car) and I was having a hard time finding reference material specific to an ex-M42 car. I'm working with a B34 here and I have a complete e28 harness and a complete 318i / m42 harness. Any guidance on the best approach would be most appreciated.

I noticed in another thread that "modernizing" the b34 was recommended but I'm assuming that only helps when working with an e30 that had an m20.

Thanks in advance!
    Brian
    $500, Diamantschwarz, and a Dream

If you can find an m20 harness or a newer b35 harness, that would be ideal. You could use the b34 harness, but you may have trouble with wiring

Comment

Yeah I will probably just end up adapting my b34 harness to work with the 318 wiring. I was just curious if there was any more info on this. I have both the ETK's though so it's just a matter of going through the harness and swapping wires.

Comment

We are first going to try using a 92 M20 harness (though we are using a b35 motor)...

I'll let you know how it progresses...
        Joe Funk -- Portland Oregon
        That Guy.
        03 X5. 3 liter obviously.

Comment

I was wondering what you ended up doing for the wiring on your m30 swap

Comment

Originally posted by thisizaremix View Post
            I was wondering what you ended up doing for the wiring on your m30 swap
            Sorry for the late response. I ended up using the b34 harness, chopped the old square c101 off and spliced over to a round c101 to mate up with the existing wiring harness. I have a build thread going:

Comment

Working...
            X