Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone used e36 M42/M44 engine mounts in an m42 e30?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone used e36 M42/M44 engine mounts in an m42 e30?

Hello everyone,

I've read that people have used e36 m42/44 engine mounts in our m42 e30's, grinding the locating nub on the head of the mount to make the mount fit. Does anyone have any experience doing this? Are the studs the correct offset/is the mount centred?

Here in Australia the aftermarket support for anything m42 is to next to none, and it's a 3-4 week wait for oem m42 engine mounts, so I figured this may be a quick and viable solution, considering I can source bilstien e36 mounts.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks,
    Nick.

Yes, IIRC the tab is all. Search this section for the respective part numbers and you should find a visual comparison/discussion.

Comment

I think there is a tab for the e36 mount that you just cut or grind off and it should fit. I blew a poly mount on a trip to BMW vintage show going to North Carolina and some guy hooked me up with a e36 mount. Got me back to NY and has been fine since. The poly engine mount got brittle from the e30 M42 header and was leaving yellow chunks on my buddies windshield following me to the Vintage show. When I realized I blew the mount my buddy was like.."Now I know what that yellow shit is on my windshield.
      dlm ny country

Comment

Thanks for everyones help. I'm now driving the car with the m44 engine mounts without issue; All that was needed was to grind down the locating 'nub' on the mounts, otherwise they work perfectly.

Comment

Working...
        X