M42 coolant in intake intake chamber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 coolant in intake intake chamber

was not expecting to find coolant in the intake chamber when i pulled the head....

Long story short this is a beater car i'm working on for my son thats been sitting for years. there was no coolant in the oil, no combustion gas in the radiator but plenty of b00dy coolant pouring out the exhaust so i guess there is a crack into that chamber from the water jacket in the head. Is this common/repairable ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	118
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	10094508

The valves sealed well enough not to pass oil or ATF over night and i cant see any cracks in the obvious places ....

Views:	77
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	10094509

​and nothing obvious on the gasket (ignore the coolant that spilled in Blogs cylinder while lifting the head off) and the intake chamber did not drain out overnight either...

Views:	76
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	10094510

Views:	76
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	10094511

and a quick and dirty plate i made to show my kids the valves seats leaking/lifting under pressure

Views:	79
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	10094512​​

A cracked head is very common for an M42, but I don't see the normal leak spot from your pics. It is possible that it would come in through the intake tract if the throttle body heater failed in a unique way.

It can of course be fixed, but maybe not at a sensible price point.

Comment

good question but i have the heater plate removed and put a connection between the plastic pipe on the block to the port on the head as shown below. I'd be over the moon if its simple fix like that but for the life of me i don't see anything dumb where i have the cooling system coupled into the intake manifold. and like you say the head looks super clean with no sign of the obvious cracks between the valves and water jacket on cyls 1 or 2. i have a complete sealed engine of unknown condition, this head and also another head that needs the valves ground so i'm not sure which of the three directions to go. Probably bst to bite the bullet and get this head tested to rule it out. Will wait to see if anyone else has some ideas before pull the cams for a pressure test.

Views:	74
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	10094572

Comment

a quick update that i've pulled the camshafts and valves and will take the head for a professional pressure test this week. I expect it will be a couple of weeks before i have results back so will post then. what a pain

Comment

Working...
        X