Engine running rough after washing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine running rough after washing

I washed the engine bay last Friday and took the spark plug cover (strip in the middle of valve covers) off. There was water standing in that cavity, but I took a towel and soaked up the water. The next day I drove the car about 15 miles on the interstate and all was well. However, when I came out of the store and started it up, it was missing badly. I have taken the plug wires out of the spark plug chambers and dried them w/ STP wire dry and lubricated the metal contacts w/ electric conductive grease.

The engine seems to run better than when I first discovered the issue, but still missing.

Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance-

randall

Bump

Comment

Does it feel like it is missing or is it missing? Check the spark wires resistance and see if it is in spec. If it is, then give a look at your distributor and rotor. When was the last time those were changed? Check your coil resistance. Check your plugs and see if they are fouled or damaged?

Comment

M42's don't have a distributor or rotor...

Does the CEL illuminate on the dash? If so, turn the key to "ON" (do not start it), then stomp on the gas pedal 5x consecutively... After the 5th stomp, the CEL (check engine light) should illuminate, blink once, then it should start blinking off any stored code #'s... Write down your stored error codes then search for their meanings or post back your results.

There could be multiple reasons as to why your car is stumbling... the coil pack casing could be cracked and if moisture penetrated it, it's causing arcing issues... The plugs could be fouled (pull and check as was advised above). Any number of sensors could have water or moisture trapped within the plug/connector that is attached to the sensor, thus causing issues. Pull any visible connectors and check for moisture.

Comment

what is supposed to be the resistance of the stock bremi wires ?? I want to check mine too

Comment

when that happened to my m42, i changed the valve cover gasket and the spark plug gaskets (roadshow actually had them in stock!), then it drove so much better. But i do have a complete COP kit for sale and i also live in cordova, hit me up!

Comment

It was the wires. I was bummed because they were relatively new. pretty costly car wash!

Comment

Originally posted by longhornM6 View Post
                It was the wires. I was bummed because they were relatively new. pretty costly car wash!

Actually covering them with a plastic bag is relatively cheap. ;)

Comment

Working...
                X