M42 timing chain

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • SiGmA_X
    replied
    Originally posted by bmwpower
    Replacing all the guides, chain, gears, tensioner will run about $500-600. Either do all of it or move on. Never replace just the gears without replacing the chain. The worn chain will wear out the new gears quickly.
    Yeah I'll be doing it completely. My spreadsheet says it will be roughly $900 for everything: all timing components, headgasket kit, 8 valves (Add $160 if the exhausts are bent, tho they look okay and held solvent; I let the machine shop tell me what's up tho of course), new guides and a valve grind. I figure its a better option to repair this motor, as the bottom end appears to be in great shape (not like I pulled it apart, but it appears dry and had great cold leakdown numbers..)
    Originally posted by BadCab
    Actually without the tranny all you have to do is unbolt 1 engine mount from the x-member and just jack the engine block up and pull out the oil pan. No need to unbolt the crossmember.
    Fair enough.

    Leave a comment:


  • BadCab
    replied
    Originally posted by SiGmA_X
    But with a floor jack under there, its a major pain in the ass to drop the subframe and remove the pan. I watched my friend do it, PITA.... I can R&R a pan in ~2hr or so doing it my way, and I've only done a couple of them.
    Actually without the tranny all you have to do is unbolt 1 engine mount from the x-member and just jack the engine block up and pull out the oil pan. No need to unbolt the crossmember.

    Leave a comment:


  • bmwpower
    replied
    Replacing all the guides, chain, gears, tensioner will run about $500-600. Either do all of it or move on. Never replace just the gears without replacing the chain. The worn chain will wear out the new gears quickly.

    Leave a comment:


  • SiGmA_X
    replied
    But with a floor jack under there, its a major pain in the ass to drop the subframe and remove the pan. I watched my friend do it, PITA.... I can R&R a pan in ~2hr or so doing it my way, and I've only done a couple of them.

    Leave a comment:


  • BadCab
    replied
    Correct and easy? Nah. A block of wood and a floor jack thank you.

    Leave a comment:


  • SiGmA_X
    replied
    The gears are indeed pointy, I am going to pull the front cover when I get back from the Bahamas and see how it looks.

    M50 swap was a consideration. I can get a good condition M50 w/ everything for $700. Just need an oil pan and gasket. How does the driveline hold up, Mot said it won't take the additional power what so ever. I did an M10->M50 swap w/ stock driveline and it is fine 2 years later..
    Originally posted by BadCab
    Be sure to check the crank gear also, my cam gears were fine when i changed them but the crank gear was pointy. Looks like the PO went the cheap route on the last tensioner/chain job. Guide rails were cracked all over too.
    This job can get expensive even if you do it yourself, or not too expensive if you just want to fix whats broken. I never touched my head internals (although it did get lifted off) and i was into it way over a grand. I did the headgasket, every other gasket, seal and oring, all the gears, guides,tensioner,chain and the water pump,thermostat,rad fan sensor, and vacuum hoses. Unfortunatly i'm addicted to "while i'm in there" and still ended up finding stuff i "needed" to get "while i was in there", like exhaust manifold bolts that snapped, guide rail C-clip, that broke, etc. It didn't help that i unbolted the oil pan and didn't realize the engine had to be lifted to get it out ( i don't have a hoist....yet) so the clutch/PP,tranny seals,shifter bushes got changed also. I was at $2k easily. I don't know exactly because i refuse to add it all up. I bought the parts over a 3-4 month period so it didn't really hurt that much. The job itself kinda sucked though. Good luck, oh and the chain whine you hear when you are done is normal.
    Glen
    Its a lot easier for me, I have a lift and all tools hah. Also, if you want to lift the motor, you need a transverse brace, not a engine hoist. Well, if you want to do it the correct and easy way.

    Leave a comment:


  • kencopperwheat
    replied
    I don't see how the chain can slip with pointy gears. Mine are and there is NO play in the chain at all. I don't think I could get it to jump with a prybar. But then again, my guides are all almost new as is the tensioner.

    Leave a comment:


  • BadCab
    replied
    Be sure to check the crank gear also, my cam gears were fine when i changed them but the crank gear was pointy. Looks like the PO went the cheap route on the last tensioner/chain job. Guide rails were cracked all over too.
    This job can get expensive even if you do it yourself, or not too expensive if you just want to fix whats broken. I never touched my head internals (although it did get lifted off) and i was into it way over a grand. I did the headgasket, every other gasket, seal and oring, all the gears, guides,tensioner,chain and the water pump,thermostat,rad fan sensor, and vacuum hoses. Unfortunatly i'm addicted to "while i'm in there" and still ended up finding stuff i "needed" to get "while i was in there", like exhaust manifold bolts that snapped, guide rail C-clip, that broke, etc. It didn't help that i unbolted the oil pan and didn't realize the engine had to be lifted to get it out ( i don't have a hoist....yet) so the clutch/PP,tranny seals,shifter bushes got changed also. I was at $2k easily. I don't know exactly because i refuse to add it all up. I bought the parts over a 3-4 month period so it didn't really hurt that much. The job itself kinda sucked though. Good luck, oh and the chain whine you hear when you are done is normal.
    Glen

    Leave a comment:


  • SiGmA_X
    replied
    I just re-did my spreadsheet, and with all new timing components, head set, intake valves, valve job, oil change, etc, I'm looking at $908. Humm. Might be a good idea. I have a cold leakdown of around 5-10%, so I assume rings are in great shape.

    Leave a comment:


  • Petebee
    replied
    If you have decent records the rebuild should be okay. I think the culprit generally is not replacing the tensioner every 40-50K, which leads to sloppiness in the chain which leads to worn sprockets (and can end in what you've experienced).

    Leave a comment:


  • SiGmA_X
    replied
    Humm. In that case, maybe we should just replace the timing components and rebuild the head. The bottom end should be good to go for a long while if oil changes were done properly, and records show they were mostly all done properly...
    Last edited by SiGmA_X; 07-02-2009, 02:32 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Petebee
    replied
    Still check the timing components on the good used engine. I purchased my car from a fastidious original owner will full documentation and 5K oil changes at 118K miles. The pointy gears are from that engine.

    Leave a comment:


  • SiGmA_X
    replied
    I'm now considering replacing the whole motor... I found a 105k motor with 3% leakdown and 179-183psi compression for $750 shipped. Might be worth it. I'll be into the head/chain job for $850-950 easily. Bah decisions decisions..

    Leave a comment:


  • Petebee
    replied
    Here is a pic with some decent used ones that I just installed on an engine that I sold:



    These are what the pointy, worn ones look like:



    Do yourself a favor and replace it all (chain, tensioner, gears, guides, etc.).

    Leave a comment:


  • SiGmA_X
    replied
    Well, we'll see when the machine shop looks at the head, but I had 95-100% leak via the intake valves, and my glove on the exhaust didn't move at all. I filled the exhaust ports on the head with parts wash fluid and it stayed in, 100%, meaning they seal reasonably well. They still could be bent.

    I'd like a picture and a precise measurement if you can... I suppose I could order some and see for myself, returning a gear is an easy task. I've never seen an M42 with flat top teeth, or any cam sprockets with flat topped teeth for that matter... And I've rebuilt, with all new components, a number of different chain driven BMW/MBZ motors.. Never an M42 tho.

    Leave a comment:

Working...