Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overheating: Overflow tank boils before guage is halfway

Hello,

I just purchased a 1991 318i, and it has been overheating.

The overflow boils before the gauge is half way. The tempurature gauge will change from just barely over half way to close to the red in a moment.

I'm rather sure that the problem is the water pump. Sound right to everyone else?

Where is the cheapest place to get water pump supplies? (found a good writeup on how to change it, so should be set there)

I've tried to bleed the system, but the first step of bleeding the system is letting it warm up, and it boils before then, with cold radiator tubes, so I'm pretty sure it's the water pump.

Thank you all.

you can just search the internet for places that sell at okay prices. i usually go to pelican parts. but theres bavauto etc. im pretty sure you can pick up a water pump at auto zone to

Comment

Do a compression test and a cooling system pressure test before anything.

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

How do I do a cooling system pressure test?

Comment

You use a pump/gauge kit which pumps up the radiator to test the cooling system for leaks.

What you are describing sounds more like a blown head gasket/cracked head to me.

Hope I am wrong!
          Luke

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
            You use a pump/gauge kit which pumps up the radiator to test the cooling system for leaks.

What you are describing sounds more like a blown head gasket/cracked head to me.

Hope I am wrong!
            Luke
            That's what I was thinking.

Comment

Thank you everyone!

I'm thinking I'll buy both of these:

Look good?

There's a sound that sounds like a bad water pump, which I think caused the original problem.

Can head cracks be repaired?

Comment

Also, when I replaced the thermostat, the coolant passages were full of "jello." Built up coolant residue. How can I flush the system completely?

Comment

Working...
                X