My custom exhaust setup.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My custom exhaust setup.

Finally got around to fabbing up the exhaust for the car. I used 2.25" tubing and bought mandrel bent peices from JC Whitney. I also used a thermal research stainless muffler from them also. I wanted something a little bigger because I didn't want the car loud.

I forgot to take my camera to take pics of the system off the car. All in all, the fit and finish is pretty good with the exception of the tailpipe/tip which I plan on fixing soon. I used all the original hangars and modified the stock muffler strap to work with the new muffler. Used a single wall magnaflow tip too. Built the whole system for $200.

Sounds ok, no rasp at all, it's a little loud for me though, plus it's gonna burn in and probably get louder so I may try a different setup, we'll see.

These are the best pics I could get, I'll try again tomorrow and take them from a different angle to the sun doesn't drain out the picture.

I also posted this in the M42 basic mod thread but I figured I'd make my own thread.

Let me know what you think.
    Last edited by 91 318is; 07-11-2010, 07:34 PM.

Sold.......again.

sound clip
    "God created turbo lag to give V8's a chance" Taylor D.

Comment

Yeah I figured that was gonna be requested. I'm gonna try later today and get one.

Sold.......again.

Comment

other than that looks good
        "God created turbo lag to give V8's a chance" Taylor D.

Comment

Originally posted by 5KWattson View Post
          other than that looks good
          Thanks.

Might be coming off if I don't get used to it. I needed a new setup and this was cheaper then buying a OEM system. Didn't want it loud so I that's why I went with thermal research, it's a little bigger then the Magnaflow 4x9's. Still a little loud inside the car, but for some reason, I don't know if it's loud outside because when I pass by 18 wheelers and jersey walls, it doesn't bounce off like I thought it would.

Weird.

Sold.......again.

Comment

Here's a quick vid I did.

I'll probably be taking it off sometime this week, too loud for me.

Last edited by 91 318is; 07-11-2010, 04:17 PM.

Sold.......again.

Comment

Exhaust sounds really good. It doesn't sound too loud to me but it could be that it's the video. So what are you planning to do with it once u take it off? Wanna sell it? :D

Comment

Originally posted by Cong405 View Post
                Exhaust sounds really good. It doesn't sound too loud to me but it could be that it's the video. So what are you planning to do with it once u take it off? Wanna sell it? :D
                Yes, will be up for sale.

Sold.......again.

Comment

if you want a little quieter setup, u should try the dynomax turbo muffler from Summit. I have it on my m42 and its pretty mello but when u get on it it sounds great. it has the same deep tone as your current setup just a lil quieter

-NICK

Comment

Originally posted by Balleristic31 View Post
                    if you want a little quieter setup, u should try the dynomax turbo muffler from Summit. I have it on my m42 and its pretty mello but when u get on it it sounds great. it has the same deep tone as your current setup just a lil quieter
                    I don't know. I was trying to think of another route. I'd like to make this one work, not sure if I can find a muffler that will do the trick though. I'm gonna put it up for sale and if I get any bites, I'm gonna go ahead and take it off.

I might go the supersprint route.

You have any soundclips of yours?

Sold.......again.

Comment

ya here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEYY0GhnzDQ

that was when i first got it and its a crappy vid, but kinda shows the sound.

-NICK

Comment

It sounds great!

Originally posted by Janderson
                        you can have the keys to my hunk of 20+ year old West German steel when you pry them from my cold dead fingers.

Comment

I like it, love the wheels as well. SS is the way to go. Let me know if you decide to go SS I might have a hook up.
                          sigpic
                          New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
                          %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by Balleristic31 View Post
                            ya here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEYY0GhnzDQ

that was when i first got it and its a crappy vid, but kinda shows the sound.
                            Hmmm, it's hard to tell the sound of yours. Your stock one sounds like an aftermarket setup, lol. I wanna say I like the sound of it, but it still sounds a little loud for me.

Is the dynomax a basic straight through design? The thermal research is just straight through, no curving path in the muffler at all.

I posted my setup for sale, if I can't get any bites by the weekend, I'll try out a dynomax and see what happens.

Sold.......again.

Comment

Originally posted by ZM Blue Devil View Post
                              I like it, love the wheels as well. SS is the way to go. Let me know if you decide to go SS I might have a hook up.
                              PM'd

Sold.......again.

Comment

Working...
                              X