X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just replaced fuel pump.. now blowing fuses

Hey everyone what could be the problem?

I just replaced my fuel pump with a TRE 340

and the car was running fine as soon as i changed it but last night cut-off right out of nowhere.

blew a fuse last night checked #11 fuse, was burnt so changed it car started right up

this morning started car , and it would start and just shut off.. checked fuse and it was about to burn out so i replaced with a higher 30amp and it started and drives fine now, but im about to change it back to a 10 amp just to be safe.. what could this be? what should i do/check?

jou ma se poes in 'n fishpaste jar.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Transaction Feedback

make sure everything is hooked up correctly and there is exposed wires.

Comment

Dun Dun Dun....

ohkay!... i had to work so i drove it to work and then home with a 10amp fuse..

my bad idk what i was writing earlier.. i had meant i only had a 15amp.. NOT a 30amp i was confused i guess, and made a typo..

i planned on checking it when i got home but on the way home i felt like i ran over road debris.. and my car kinda felt shaky in the drive line...

so when i got home jacked up the car i found that my gubio EXPLODED!!!

Damn its like I never get ahead!:hitler:
      Attached Files

Transaction Feedback

Comment

Oh wow LOL.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

WTF happened to you guibo, cheese and crackers! be sure to change the center support bearing while your there!
          harry/harout

Comment

Originally posted by bmw325csi View Post
            WTF happened to you guibo, cheese and crackers! be sure to change the center support bearing while your there!
            UGH.. more work... LOL :p

New drive shaft FTW... Tee HEE

Transaction Feedback

Comment

Bumping an old thread..

Same deal after installing a TRE pump.

At first – 7.5A fuse would fail after ~60 seconds.
              After cleaning/replacing connections at fuel pump – and cleaning ground point behind rear seat, fuse would fail after 20-30 minutes (some improvement)

I contacted Nick North of TRE – and was informed that the pump typically draws between 10-12 amps.

I’m going to try a 10 amp fuse – if it works, great – otherwise I really don’t want to jump up more than 5 amps on factory wiring. Can’t find anyone that makes a 12A mini spade fuse – which would be ideal. Installing a 15 will be my last, LAST resort..
              Last edited by Simon S; 04-19-2011, 03:11 PM. Reason: grammar
              -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Follow up: put 1-1/2 hours run time on today with a 10 amp fuse. Ran fine. I'm happy.

Comment

18 gauge wire is rated for 16 amps. I'm sure the factory wiring is more like 14 or 12 gauge which is rated for 32 or 41 amps, respectively. No worries.

Comment

cool

Comment

Ha.. thanks for updating this guys....

I have a very nasty habit of not remembering to post resolved topics..

hope this helps others.

Transaction Feedback

Comment

No prob -
                        You still runnin' on a 10A ?

Comment

Originally posted by Simon S View Post
                          No prob -
                          You still runnin' on a 10A ?
                          You know what... I went to double check because i was sure there was a 15amp

but to my amazement there was a 30amp fuse.

So, I wouldn't recommend to put a 30amp...

but I know that the car was ran with this for quite a while...

I now changed it back to a 10amp and the car started and idled... so

10 amp is where it stays!

Transaction Feedback

Comment

lol
                            10-4

Comment

Just found this thread, had the exact same problem after installing a new TRE fuel pump, and just got done spending hours checking all the wiring for a short. Gonna put a 10A in there and have a backup 15amp just in case. Thanks guys, i was really starting to get frustrated.

Comment

Working...
                              X