Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do these look?

M42 ninjas,

Please help... this is the first I've cracked open my valve cover and I don't know what things are supposed to look like.

The car has 215k miles on it. Recently, it developed the rattle at ~3k RPM common to a failing chain tensioner. I purchased and installed a new one. The sound went away... for a few thousand miles and returned. I guessed, as is discussed in this thread:

... that the chain/cam gears/rails were shot and the tensioner only temporarily masked the problem. This is what things looked like when I took off the valve cover:

Click image for larger version

Name:	camgears.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	7217369

From what I understand, worn cam gears are generally pointy. These certainly don't look that way to me. In addition, I was under the impression that the old style guide rails that fell apart were steel. The top guide that I can see is the newer, plastic style.

To those with a trained eye, do these gears look worn? If my assumption about the guides is right, is it fair to assume the chain/gears/guides have been replaced at some point (I've only owned the car two years)? If so, is it possible the new tensioner has failed already? Any other advice?

Thanks!

Those gears don't look worn. How about the lower chain guide? Any idea what shape it's in?

Comment

Haven't gotten that far yet...

Comment

M42s come with adjustable cams?

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
          M42s come with adjustable cams?
          Sure do.

6 degrees adv on the intake was originally the go, but I think the sweetest balance is around 4 degrees adv.

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
          RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

they looks great.! looks almost brand new. your guides might not be though...
            sigpic

Comment

Those teeth look fine.

Have you dropped your pan yet? If you didn't see any plastic/metal in there you should be good on the guides.

I read somewhere that the water pump is a source for at least one of the many rattling noises these engine make. Haven't looked into it though.

Comment

There is also the very slight possibility that your crank gear is worn, but if that cam gears are in that good a shape I highly doubt it.

Comment

Thanks everyone... I suppose I'll drop the pan tonight and look for junk that doesn't belong.

Comment

Just FYI, lower oil pan drop results:

Click image for larger version

Name:	pan.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	7123503

Yeah.... guess I know where to go from here. Thanks for all your responses.

Comment

Shitty deal right there.

Comment

holy shit thats bad. should be fun to take that engine apart tho. good luck. take pics!

Comment

Its just from his guide rails, he should be okay.

Comment

OH OH OH! Mine did that:

Comment

OH OH OH! Mine did that:

Comment

Working...
                              X