Loud Ticking

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ryann
    replied
    Yup, thats exactly what you should be doing...safer!
    I'm usually all about doing things by the book, but I popped mine before install after reading a horror thread about chain slippage and bent valves.

    Leave a comment:


  • dude8383
    replied
    Originally posted by khnordeen
    Approx. how many hours of work would it take to replace the tensioner/guides?

    I just developed this issue a couple of days ago, but I have almost all of the parts I need to get my S50 swap started and I don't want to invest a lot of time in repairing this issue right now when the motor will be coming out soon.
    I would say about 3-4hrs is a reasonable amount of time to do it in...I replaced mine when I an m42 in about 3hrs.

    Originally posted by Balleristic31
    Hmm.

    Not according to this thread --> http://www.m42club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2925


    I used this as my install guide.
    Yup, thats exactly what you should be doing...safer!

    Leave a comment:


  • Balleristic31
    replied
    Originally posted by trackjunkie21
    You aren't supposed to pop it out? You leave it pushed in and let the oil build up the pressure.
    Hmm.

    Not according to this thread --> http://www.m42club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2925


    I used this as my install guide.

    Leave a comment:


  • trackjunkie21
    replied
    Originally posted by Balleristic31
    I just replaced the tensioner like 5 months ago. And I popped it out correctly and all. Its not that.
    You aren't supposed to pop it out? You leave it pushed in and let the oil build up the pressure.

    Leave a comment:


  • khnordeen
    replied
    Approx. how many hours of work would it take to replace the tensioner/guides?

    I just developed this issue a couple of days ago, but I have almost all of the parts I need to get my S50 swap started and I don't want to invest a lot of time in repairing this issue right now when the motor will be coming out soon.

    Leave a comment:


  • durtyE30
    replied
    I have been having similar ticking issues, and according to my searching I have found that the M42 ticks for either the reasons of timing chain guides and tensioners as mentioned already, or due to the metal impeller water pumps.

    Your next step may be to check out the water pump, new ones are only like $40-50 and I'm sure they can be found for cheaper than that if you looked hard enough.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ryann
    replied
    I was running Mobil 1 15/50, switched to Redline. Slightly more $, but doesn't look like honey on the dipstick and a noticeably smoother idle when cold.

    Leave a comment:


  • Balleristic31
    replied
    Hmm. I may try it next change.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ryann
    replied
    ^Wrong oil for your weather. A much debated topic, but according to BMW you should be running 15/50.

    Leave a comment:


  • Balleristic31
    replied
    Mobil 1 5/30

    Leave a comment:


  • Ryann
    replied
    What oil are you running? Oh, and OP what oil are you running?

    Leave a comment:


  • Balleristic31
    replied
    I just replaced the tensioner like 5 months ago. And I popped it out correctly and all. Its not that.

    Leave a comment:


  • trackjunkie21
    replied
    Originally posted by Balleristic31
    mine are so noisy around 2-3k.
    That's 100% your tensioner then.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ryann
    replied
    Originally posted by Balleristic31
    Could the ticking possibly be the lifters?
    I was thinking this as well. OP seems to be describing something different, IDK.

    Leave a comment:


  • Balleristic31
    replied
    mine are so noisy around 2-3k.

    Leave a comment:

Working...