Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What were the signs before your fuel pump quit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What were the signs before your fuel pump quit?

A few times my otherwise good running M42 just quit on me. At idle, twice in the last 6 months. Wait a few seconds and then it will start right up and run perfect. I have all the stuff for the mess under the intake but haven't gotten in there yet. It's on my to do list. I would think if it was the fuel pump, it wouldn't just do it at idle.

Anyway just thinking out loud.

John
    The Revolution will not be televised.

does the pump work very loud? that's a sign of a pump which is about to fail.

Comment

if you hear the pump humming then its probably working. check for vac leaks and also look into your ICV clean that out! take it from there

Comment

Thanks for the info. The last time it did it I cleaned out the ICV but it was pretty clean to begin with.

I don't hear the pump at all, even when it's running.

I don't think it's ignition since I can watch the tach as it dies. In other words the tach doesn't just die and the moter dies at the same time.

Hmm..

John

Comment

Pull the cover off the fuel pump (underseat cover) and listen, then whack it if the car dies, see if it starts running again

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

The problem with that is I might have to wait another 6 months for it to quit. Man, thats a long time to hover over the tank with a hammer in hand.

Back in my Volvo days I had this 242 and the pump started pulling more and more amps. eventually the solder let loose on the fuel pump relay. As I was in school and had no cash, I re-soldered the relay and left the cover off and let it dangle by the kick vent. It would burn my knee while AutoXing in shorts

John

Comment

To check the fuel pump go by the fuel filter and take off the hose on the back end connected to the fuel pump. Have something by so u don't spill fuel allover and have someone start the car. If the hose is spewing out fuel then the pump should be fine

Comment

I'm hip,

Thanks

John

Comment

John, Kim and I took a road trip with the back seat looses and that hatch open, as every time we stopped, it was a battle to get the car running again.

While the car is cranking over, bop the thing

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

I'll remember that for my trip to Vintage in WS!

Maybe I should just buy a new pump and squirrel it away.

John

Comment

Time between first fail and full fail was over 2 years, well over 20,000 miles

Closing SOON!

Comment

Ah that's what i like to hear. Far off impending doom!

John

Comment

I would be driving, and the car would die, but before it died completly, surge like it got a boost of gas, and on start ups, crank crank crank crank run.....die

turned out my wires to pump were loose, So I got new ones, and new connector end, problem fixed

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

It did it again. Not ignition as the tach kept working throughout the whole thing. I thought I was going to be stuck on the side of the road but key off and key on it worked and ran fine. Hmm..... kinda like a reset. I think it's something to do with the IACV and the mess under the intake.

John

Comment

You should pop your seat loose and pull the pump cover for now so you can hear it.

Oh: turn the damn stereo down, too.

Closing SOON!

Comment

Working...
                              X