Excuse my mechanical ignorance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excuse my mechanical ignorance

So I pulled off the highway yesterday when my E30 began billowing steam after the hose connecting to the radiator appeared to have popped off. I thought it might have been only a hose clamp, but I had it towed to my mechanic. I talked to my mechanic today who told me he will have to replace the radiator since the hose connection had broke off due to regular pressure. He said this is a common issue. I was just wondering if this is a common issue because I was quoted $457 for parts+labor. Is this fair? Sorry for sounding completely automotive-mechanically retarded and any feedback is appreciated. Could this issue have been prevented?
    Last edited by bp9129; 07-19-2011, 08:13 PM.

]Real sht

Well, an OE Behr radiator can be had for around $165. So $292 for labor + 1 gallon of coolant? Sounds pretty steep to me. I can have my rad drained, disconnected, and out in 15min or less. What's the shop rate/hr?

Comment

Sounds about right. It doesn't matter how fast Ryann can do it. IIRC the book time is 2.1 hours. Where I used to work on BMWs that's $200 of the price right there. then add in the radiator which will be marked up b/c the shop is a business. Throw in 2 new radiator hoses and tax and your likely at the other $257 of the estimate. It's a 20 year old car, many parts will break eventually, if you replaced the radiator in the last few years it would be odd but if it's original it's not really out of the ordinary.

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerteck View Post
        IIRC the book time is 2.1 hours. Where I used to work on BMWs that's $200 of the price right there.
        Like I said, what is the shop rate/hr? I think $300 out the door would be fair. Then again, maybe Pittsburg shop rates are double what they are here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryann View Post
          Well, an OE Behr radiator can be had for around $165. So $292 for labor + 1 gallon of coolant? Sounds pretty steep to me. I can have my rad drained, disconnected, and out in 15min or less. What's the shop rate/hr?
          I truly envy your knowledge and skills. Seriously.

Originally posted by bimmerteck View Post
          Sounds about right. It doesn't matter how fast Ryann can do it. IIRC the book time is 2.1 hours. Where I used to work on BMWs that's $200 of the price right there. then add in the radiator which will be marked up b/c the shop is a business. Throw in 2 new radiator hoses and tax and your likely at the other $257 of the estimate. It's a 20 year old car, many parts will break eventually, if you replaced the radiator in the last few years it would be odd but if it's original it's not really out of the ordinary.
          Thanks for this peace of mind. Just dropped a G into the b-rot 318i to have the original R12 ac back up and running and now this happens so...yeah. I've never doubted my mechanic before but this car has been a money pit lately and I'm still trying to get the suspension done this summer.

]Real sht

Comment

and yeah, bimmerteck, its the original rad so i guess this was expected at some point

]Real sht

Comment

You guys are freaking insane. You're going to cough up $475 for a radiator, a hose if I read correctly, and labor?? The radiator alone is $120+ and removing plus installing is something you should or should learn to do on your own. It's like 3 hoses and a sensor? It's not a big deal whatsoever man! Do it, you own an e30 so you're partially obligated to! :)

And sorry if you really can't!

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                You guys are freaking insane. You're going to cough up $475 for a radiator, a hose if I read correctly, and labor?? The radiator alone is $120+ and removing plus installing is something you should or should learn to do on your own. It's like 3 hoses and a sensor? It's not a big deal whatsoever man! Do it, you own an e30 so you're partially obligated to! :)

And sorry if you really can't!

I was about to post this, but when I re-read it I sounded like a douche. Your post is much more classy, nicely done.

Comment

Originally posted by bp9129 View Post
                  I truly envy your knowledge and skills. Seriously.
                  You need the jack in your trunk, a medium bladed screwdriver (also in your trunk), and a bucket. Seriously.

Comment

Eh, I've never worked on cars in my life and I value my e30 too much to fuck something up and have it sit in pieces. Anyway its already with my mechanic and I gave him the go ahead.

But thanks for making me feel like I'm throwing money away lol

]Real sht

Comment

This has happened to my 318 and my dad's I filed off the some of the plastic on the broken off nipple and just crammed my rad hose on as well as I could. Hasn't come off or given me any problems. It's a known issue with these rads.

S54B32 swap in progress. Status: Getting There

Comment

Originally posted by bp9129 View Post
                        Eh, I've never worked on cars in my life and I value my e30 too much to fuck something up and have it sit in pieces. Anyway its already with my mechanic and I gave him the go ahead.

But thanks for making me feel like I'm throwing money away lol
                        I am disappoint. Not so much in you, you're taking care of the car just fine, but I would bet there is some r3v'er near you who would help you learn how to do this for some beer and to satisfy their natural pedagogical reflex. If I was near, I'd be glad to help. Of course, if you don't want to learn that, that's ok too.

Who is going to do the suspension?
                        sigpic
                        Originally posted by JinormusJ
                        Don't buy an e30

They're stupid
                        1989 325is Raged on then sold.
                        1988 325 SETA 2DR Beaten to death, then parted.
                        1988 325 SETA 4DR Parted.
                        1990 325i Cabrio Daily'd, then stored 2 yrs ago.

Comment

^R3vers are rare in pittsburgh, but it would be nice. shit man I'd love to learn.

And I'll most likely have my same mechanic do the suspension.

]Real sht

Comment

Originally posted by Asbradley21 View Post
                            This has happened to my 318 and my dad's I filed off the some of the plastic on the broken off nipple and just crammed my rad hose on as well as I could. Hasn't come off or given me any problems. It's a known issue with these rads.
                            Thanks for the input. i knew my car couldnt be falling apart

]Real sht

Comment

Originally posted by frankenbeemer View Post
                              if i was near, i'd be glad to help.
                              +1:(

Comment

Working...
                              X