No announcement yet.

FIXED: Stuttering at 3k RPM.. has anyone figured this out? --- VIDEO INSIDE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throwing code: 1244.. camshaft sensor. Recently replaced with a brand new OEM camshaft sensor.
    My 1991 318is Progression Thread

Comment

Originally posted by lostbeachbum View Post
      then you will have to explain to me how I had the same problem (5k rpm shudder), which was resolved by lowering the gap of my plugs, I was given this solution by Mark D.
      Originally posted by mr ilia View Post
      It was possible related issue to insecure plugged in spark wire or similar.
      I had the same thing happening to my car, turned our bad afm and/or loose/rusty groud on the coil pack. While diagnosing this issue i changed plugs and wires also....so at the end all small thing have to be attended and resolved. Remeber, the yongest e30 is almost 20 years old now!
      What he said.

Likely purely coincidence that re-gapping the plugs did anything at all. Think about it. All a spark plug does is create an arch between two points in order to ignite fuel mixture. It really doesn't matter how much of a spark there is in order to ignite that mixture, as long as there is one. Yes, there is an "ideal" gap, but having it off either way by a little bit isn't going to grossly affect how the engine runs.

OP - Have you checked to see if your crankshaft pulley is loose? Could be causing the squealing and also giving a funky crank signal. It almost seems like you maybe spun a bearing, but that is more of a knocking sound, not so much a squealing. Figure out where the squealing is coming from and you will likely find your problem.
      Last edited by AndrewBird; 10-05-2011, 07:41 PM.

Comment

To OP, was the sensor the culprit? i have a very similar problem, almost exact really, but i did not see in this thread if you actually got it fixed or not.

Comment

Have not had adequate time to diagnose the problem yet.

Believe me, I will post once I figure it out... pissing me off. :|

Comment

yeah. . . its frustrating as hell. you said yours does it when its cold now too?
            Because mine is fine when i first start it up. but as the car warms up the worse the problem will get. as in it will go to 6k, then drive for a little bit and accelerate and it'll only go to 5k and so on until it only does 3500.

I'm waiting for a cps and afm both used but out of good running car. we'll see what happens i guess.

Comment

About to sell this mofo as is.. anyone want an awesome condition, barely running 318is..?

:(

Comment

Hey, i replaced the CPS and it fixed my problem. its definitely a pain to do but is possible. However i was also told if there is build-up on the sensor like a heavy grease that it can mess up the signal.

i did replace the AFM at the same time too. but it did run the same with the original one but I also believe that my AFM is crapping out. so Both the CPS and AFM were replaced and now it runs fine.

Comment

Bumping this thread. I have the exact same problem. Only happens when the engine is warmed up. Feels like the rev limiter is kicking in at random rpms, anywhere from 3.5k to 6k. Drive great when cold and will rev freely, but as soon as it warms up you can feel the problem start to happen. Gets worse as car warms up. I'm also getting a 1244 code when I do the stomp test. I did remove the cam sensor when changing my thermostat, but don't think I damaged it.

Recent maintenance:
                  Spark plugs 12/2011
                  Fuel pump 12/2011
                  Fuel filter 12/2011
                  Thermostat 12/2011
                  Engine ground strap 12/2011
                  Rebuilt Injectors 11/2011
                  Cleaned mess under intake 11/2011
                  Ignition wires 01/2010
                  O2 Sensor 01/2009

I tested:
                  Connections for crank and cam sensors
                  Crank sensor reads 584 ohms
                  AFM wiper arm reads 350-900 ohms as flap opens, but dips to 600 for a moment near full open. Not sure if that's normal.
                  FPR ok. Has no fuel at vacuum line and rpms rise when line is disconnected
                  Tried stock ECU chip and Turner chip. No difference.

I have not tested the cam sensor, O2 sensor, or ignition components. I'm thinking the ignition wires are messed up because they run directly above the headers. Would this heat cause the ignition to mess up as the car warms up? My symptoms are exactly as descriped by the OP in this thread and only started happening the past week or two. I'm thinking of trying the HQ COP kit, but the OP already has that with the same symptoms. So frustrating!

Help! :(
                  Last edited by JUNGLISTluder; 12-17-2011, 01:59 PM.
                  sigpic
                  BMW e30 318is
                  BMW e30 318iC
                  BMW e28 528is
                  Range Rover HSE
                  Ferrari F355 GTB

Comment

I'm have similer issues... i checked my crank sensor... it was .555 ohms. it's either bad or i had the meter on the wrong range, should it be around 640 ohms with no decimal point?

Comment

you guys might want to check that your crank sensor is clean. mine had a bunch of gunk on it and it did the exact thing your describing. ... however i replaced it with a known working one and now the car runs great all the time. that and or vacuum leaks off the intake boot. i had one fall off that i didnt know while i was swaping afms and it didnt run for crap.

but check the cps to make sure the tip of the sensor is clean. that might work.

Comment

I did the cleanup of the cps.... no improvement... there is a small stumbled from idle when i start to accelerate.

Comment

fixed my issue with a new Crank Position Sensor!
                          sigpic
                          BMW e30 318is
                          BMW e30 318iC
                          BMW e28 528is
                          Range Rover HSE
                          Ferrari F355 GTB

Comment

My car is missing the adapter harness for the AFM... didn't know what it was a couple of years ago... took it off and didn't have any issues .. now i know it was put there to correct an idle issue and am wondering if i should find another one and see if it fixes the stuttering.

Comment

Try Replacing the engine harness.

As luck would have it, I have one I can sell you.

I'm currently working on replacing the harness for my own E30, because it's doing the same damn thing. It sucks having a relatively nice 325i, that I have to shift like an E. I just pulled the harness out of my parts car not an hour ago, and found a couple previously fixed wires. So I'm gonna solder them up, and put it in. It's the only thing left that makes sense on my car. Everything else (Fucking everything, I even upgraded to a miller MAF and war chip because of this), has been replaced.

You can see a video on my post about this (It was taken early on when it was intermittent, now it's an extremely consistent 5k. The check engine light is pretty much a shift light). A lot more dramatic than yours. But maybe it's a possibility.

Last edited by TurboJake; 01-10-2012, 04:37 PM.

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

I plan on pulling the engine, sealing it up a bit better, replacing whatever the fuck I see, and dropping it back in with a lighter flywheel.

I feel you Jake.. I have spent a lot of time and money making this thing *like new* and this is the worst symptom it could possibly have. A 3500 rev limiter on a fucking high-winding 4-cyl is terrible!

Gotta stay motivated and get this shit done soon!

Comment

Working...
                                X