M40 Swap with M42 1990 318i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M40 Swap with M42 1990 318i

Hey guys, recently picked up myself a 1990 318i with an m40. It just simply isn't fast enough for me and i know that the m40 isn't worth modding in search of more power, seeing as the m42 is a far superior engine because of the chain and the head on it. I have been considering a swap for some time but i just have some concerns about using the newer loom with the e30? I can't seem to find a wiring loom out of a e30 318is which has the m42 stock so I will probably have to use a loom out of an e36. Does anyone have any information on such wiring?

Thanks in advance.

Save yourself the time drop in an m50... the swap may be a little different but you will get heaps more power out of it. I have herd that you can also use the same getrag 240 from your m40. Over here in Aus an m42 is about the same price as an m50 so I say take the m50.

Also alpine white your bumpers and mirrors minus the trim and get an IS lip and your ride will look a lot better

Comment

Yeah was thinking about m50 but if i went down that road i might need transmission, drivetrain, diff, brakes, suspension, and alot of money for petrol + have to get it certified and also lots of weight at the front which would make it handle worse.

Comment

What would i need for an m50 swap?
        Last edited by Gapin it; 08-01-2011, 10:43 PM.

Comment

any one got any information on turboing the m40?

Comment

Originally posted by Gapin it View Post
            What would i need for an m50 swap?
            Search

Originally posted by Gapin it View Post
            any one got any information on turboing the m40?
            Don't bother, it is a horrible little POS that should've been a blowjob.
            -03/2005 E46 330D Touring 6spd(204hp/410nM) Sapphire Black/Naturbraun Sport...300k KM & 35mpg(mixed)

Comment

Need information on wiring an e36 m42 harness for an e30 :( cant find it anywhere

Comment

wiring is pretty easy........pm sent

Comment

wiring is pretty easy........pm sent

Comment

Hi guys were can i find a wiring harness for e36 m42 1992 into 1990 e30 318i (m40b18) cannot find a diagram or place that sells one? Any help would be much appreciated

Comment

Same problem here. Want to swap my M40 to M42. I only know that you have to put the oil pan (upper too) from the m40 on the m42 from e36 and that you need the engine mounting brackets from an E30 M42. But what about the wiring? The e36 has different pin layout and maybe different connectors in the wiring harness.

Comment

Working...
                      X