m42 engine mounting issues!!! D:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m42 engine mounting issues!!! D:

I'm changing out the motor mounts (real bitch btw). I've placed them in, but I can't get the engine to sit on the studs! I wanted to know do the alignment nipples on the bottom of the mount go in the oval shaped slot or the round hole(on the subframe obvsly)? For some reason I think I have these backwards because both sides are out of alignment by an inch or so.

If you guys need me to draw a diagram to further explain my problem, I will. I just want to get my 4banger back on the road.

Did you do 1 at a time?

Comment

um, no I just slapped both of them on?

bently's doesn't cover m42's so I winged it

Comment

^. One at a time I had trouble as well lol

Comment

Ah, okay. Anything else I should know or look out for?

Comment

And like I said, does the bolt of the mount go inside the hole or the oval slot on the subframe?

Comment

I think there's a detente in the subframe for that little tab, IIRC.

Install the mounts loosely and work the engine back down onto them, using a pry bar or long screwdriver.

d.hitchcock
              STX e30
              No. 10/110 STX: 1989 325i
              DD: 1991 318is slicktop

SHAZAM, GOMER, LOOK AHEAD.

Comment

Yes, definitely leave the mounts loose. You will have to wiggle them around a bit to get everything to line up.

Comment

The bolts go in the round holes, the alignment tabs go into the oval hole. I had a little difficulty with this last night.

If you're using a support bar to lower your engine onto the mounts, you just have to play with lowering them, you can actually push the mounts into the holes if you don't have too much weight resting onto the subframe. Just lower it a bit, try to push the mount in the direction of the hole. If it doesn't catch, lower it some more, rinse and repeat till they pop in.
                  Reformed E34 addict. 1993 525i/5 - 1995 525i/5 - 1991 318i/C

Comment

Thanks guys sorry for not updating sooner. I did the "loosen bolts and guide it in" method and it worked like a charm I immediately had a beer and a cigar to celebrate my victory lol

Thanks again for all the responses!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X