do i need the fan clutch tool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do i need the fan clutch tool?

i'm going to replace my radiator tomorrow, do i need a fan clutch tool or do i even need to remove the fan clutch?
    Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

No and No.

The fan clutch just requires a spanner and a BFH and a lot of swearing, if it has never been removed before.
    sigpic

Comment

Are the fan clutches different on m42's? Someone told be that you can by a long spanner (32mm IIRC???) at bicycle shops - they use it for something - I forget what for. Just FYI.
      Originally posted by Matt-B
      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
        Are the fan clutches different on m42's? Someone told be that you can by a long spanner (32mm IIRC???) at bicycle shops - they use it for something - I forget what for. Just FYI.
        IDK I just us an adjustable spanner and whack it with a big fucken hammer works every time.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Massimo View Post
          No and No.

The fan clutch just requires a spanner and a BFH and a lot of swearing, if it has never been removed before.
          it looks like i can slide the fan shroud out without removing the fan. the bottom portion of the shroud has a cut that look to be design to fit the fan when pulling the shroud upward.

Comment

^
            Correct getting it back in is a bit of a pain though.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Massimo View Post
              ^
              Correct getting it back in is a bit of a pain though.
              thanks, well see how it goes tomorrow.

Comment

You can slide the shroud without pulling the fan clutch, and put it back in. Not very hard at all.

Also: M42/M20 both use the same wrench for their fans, I think I picked up a 1.25" wrench from Ace Hardware for $13, was super thin and works great.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Bowers View Post
                  You can slide the shroud without pulling the fan clutch, and put it back in. Not very hard at all.
                  I concur. No need to remove the fan/clutch assy. for radiator replacement.

Comment

IIRC the fan nut tool is the same as an M20 (and most other models) but the water pump pulley holding tool is different.

Comment

^32mm/1.25" from Ace, cheap and effective. BTW, just incase you didn't know, the fan clutch is reverse thread.
                      -03/2005 E46 330D Touring 6spd(204hp/410nM) Sapphire Black/Naturbraun Sport...300k KM & 35mpg(mixed)

Comment

Visegrips.. Take out that mechanical fan and throw a 20 dollar slim fan on there.

Comment

Originally posted by RoadWarrior View Post
                          Visegrips.. Take out that mechanical fan and throw a 20 dollar slim fan on there.

i raise you with a plug and play e36 fan for 100 bucks new.

Comment

how much for the catch can
                            Originally posted by bmwm42
                            PNW vulture pm me for parts
                            Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

Working...
                            X