Fault code 1241?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fault code 1241?

since I bought my car I havent been getting the greatest mileage. slowly fixing parts here and there. but today did the stomp test to check for any fault codes and I came back with 1241. My E36 Bentley manual doesn't cover the e30. So I ran some searches and found this. Also the code doesnt store!

I says its MAF but im not so sure since I seem to have a similar issue as this.
    As well as other numerous thread about this topic.

Though I idle at a lumpy 400rpms and I do notice
    Im running rich and have a louder rattle (?) past the 2k rpm range.
    Going to try and figure this out but I would really appreciate some insight from the veterans before I go buying parts.

1241 generally is caused by a vacuum leak in the system. The favorite causes are intake boot cracked, missed connecting a hose, or intake manifold not seated correctly. Of course it is possible that it does actually have something to do with the MAF, but I really doubt it. Further, your idle at ~400!!!!!RPM is unacceptable and is clearly the result of a bad (generally just dirty) IACV/vac leaks. Finally, the rattle as RPM climb is almost always the timing system on the front, probably time for an overhaul, although some people suggest just replacing the tensioner if you are just hearing it (I personally would inspect the system first).

EDIT: I hate to add it, but all of these items are covered here and on M42 Club in depth. You, like every other at home wrencher needs to put in the time and read, read, read.

Comment

Unless you're having some pretty severe drivability issues it's not likely your AFM.

Comment

So air flow meter is out cause it drives smooth aside from the janky idle, changed out the chain tensioner and only hear said "rattle" while in gear otherwise seems straight. gonna check the dile control valve cause the plumbing on it kinda janky on it as well.

My buddy the previous owners thread on a boggin issue maybe add some insight

I do read forum threads and while everything is relative, each incident is individual. So rather then jump into something I don't understand figure I would ask for help. Also have a hard time navigating m42club. :?

Comment

Rattle only while in gear you say, clutch position independent?

As far as the lumpy idle I might be inclined to add that you may want to check your plugs (let us know if rich/lean) and check plug wire resistance. Further, you may want to check your throttle body to see if one valve is sticking open.

When it comes to cars, especially 20+ old engine designs there is nothing new under the sun. Someone, likely hundreds have been where you are now, and chances are it's been asked and answered. That said, if no one ever asked questions there would be no forums, so...

Not trying to jump on you, just asking you to sit down and spend a solid block of hours boning up on common ailments, fixes, mods and otherwise. After that's done you will be able to answer questions like this that most committed M42 folks have seen and answered before. All I am saying is that it's frustrating answering the same thing over and over, you know? /rant

Comment

Working...
          X