M42 head gasket replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 head gasket replacement

Hey everyone. Just picked up a 91 318is. Really nice interior/exterior but it will overheat after driving it for awhile according to the PO. I drove the car from where he was selling it to my house. maybe 4 miles. the engine seemed to run great. idles right at 700 rpm/ no shaking/etc. didn't drive it long enough to see an overheating problem. Anyway on to the point, I ordered a new head gasket and some other gaskets as I think I want to refresh the m42 so I can drive it without worrying about anything. The car was maintained very well so I don't think it will need anything major but here is a list of parts I have ordered.
    Thermostat
    new hoses
    profile gasket (the one that leaks often under the head)
    thermostat housing gasket
    exhaust and intake manifold gaskets
    new head bolts
    new water pump and water pump gaskets.
    new bleed screw.
    I plan on doing the electric fan mod after I finish up the refresh.
    Are there any other gaskets/seals I should replace while I have the head off?

ive your going to tear into that much.......well then replace all the coolant hoses ie the plastic one that connects to the head.....all the vac lines....and make sure you have the head checked over before you slap it back on
    Originally posted by bmwm42
    PNW vulture pm me for parts
    Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

I recommend you drop the oil pan and tighten up the upper pan bolts, get new timing cover gaskets, valve cover gasket, oil pan gaskets, and at the least, a timing chain tensioner.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Bowers View Post
        I recommend you drop the oil pan and tighten up the upper pan bolts, get new timing cover gaskets, valve cover gasket, oil pan gaskets, and at the least, a timing chain tensioner.
        PO had the pan done recently and it got new VC bolts/gasket a couple months ago. I will add the timing chain tensioner to the list. http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...08&hg=11&fg=10

I have #10 in that diagram. should I also get #3 as well?

Comment

Originally posted by bmwm42 View Post
          ive your going to tear into that much.......well then replace all the coolant hoses ie the plastic one that connects to the head.....all the vac lines....and make sure you have the head checked over before you slap it back on
          PO had the plastic ones replaced. Should I just grab some hose from an auto parts store to do the vac lines or is there a set available for the M42? A google search didn't show me anything in terms of vac line kits for the M42. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

You can find silicone hoses at hiperformance superstore.com... I think the full set was 100 bucks for the vacuum lines.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
            Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

No, you won't be pulling the motor down far enough to replace #3. You would want #4, and #15.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Bowers View Post
                No, you won't be pulling the motor down far enough to replace #3. You would want #4, and #15.
                http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...83&hg=11&fg=10
                Alright thanks for clearing that up. going to order those on monday.

Comment

Working...
                X