Loud transmission noise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loud transmission noise!

Hey everyone. I posted this on m42club but thought I'd ask here too. The transmission started making a rough noise with the clutch pushed in about a week ago. Throughout the week the noise has gotten louder. Now the noise is still there but with an extremely loud screeching noise. It doesn't matter if the clutch is pushed in or out but seems to be worse pushed in. However, it does seem to go away (for the most part) when actually in gear and moving down the road. As soon as I shift or push in the clutch the noise comes back.

So after all of this, I'm thinking about pulling out the transmission and replacing almost everything.
    Here's the list so far:
    Valeo Clutch kit : including pressure plate, clutch disc, pilot and throwout bearing, and centering tool
    Rear main engine seal
    Spring for Throw-out Bearing Release Lever
    Input shaft seal
    Pivot Pin for Clutch Fork Lever
    Transmission mounts
    Guibo
    Exhaust gaskets

So, is there anything else I need to replace or could it be something other than the clutch/throwout bearing? I also wonder about the input shaft bearing?

(91 e30 318is) The car has 230k miles and its been in the family for 80k. I have no idea whether or not the clutch has been replaced.

Thanks,
    Cody
    '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
    '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

sounds like a throwout bearing to me.....noise when it has pressure on it, none when it doesn't....
    Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
    Track/street e21 build
    visit Condor Speed Shop
    visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

yep. TOB. You should replace the pilot bearing while youre there

Comment

As the others said, TOB. The parts needed were just covered here.

Comment

If not the input shaft bearing.

G240s with higher mileage are known for being noisy .
          1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
          1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
          1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
          1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

Originally posted by TimKninja View Post
            If not the input shaft bearing.

G240s with higher mileage are known for being noisy .
            they are only noisy with the clutch petal not pushed. bc the input shaft bearings are usually all needing replacement.

this is 100% for sure a throw-out bearing issue.
            Much wow
            I hate 4 doors

Comment

I appreciate all the responses. I just ordered all the parts from pelican and a valeo clutch kit from amazon. It probably is just the TOB.
              '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
              '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

when mine finally went all the ball bearings were floating around the transmission, but right up until it went it was the exact same thing your describing. Point of advice, take off the intake manifold to reach the top bell housing bolts.
                1991 318is ---230K - DD
                1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
                so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

I just pulled my transmission this past Saturday to do this samething. I was able to remove the top starter bolt and the top bolt that mates the engine and transmission using a 3 ft. extension after I had removed the driveshaft and all the bracing of course. I'm in the process of putting the rear main seal on the carrier and I'm looking for instructions on the best method of doing so.
                  sigpic
                  Rebuilding since 07/06/2016

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Poorboyz View Post
                    I just pulled my transmission this past Saturday to do this samething. I was able to remove the top starter bolt and the top bolt that mates the engine and transmission using a 3 ft. extension after I had removed the driveshaft and all the bracing of course. I'm in the process of putting the rear main seal on the carrier and I'm looking for instructions on the best method of doing so.
                    When installing the new rear main seal, just get a flat faced hammer and carefully tap it in going around evenly (making sure not to get one side pressed in further than the other while tapping).
                    '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                    '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Working...
                    X