easy way to collapse tensioner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

easy way to collapse tensioner?

Is there any trick to collapsing a tensioner? I bought a new one, only to have my motor still munch its valves. So I'm transferring it to my new motor and I want to say I've heard its like you can collapse it and quarter turn it and it locks back but I searched and can't find that thread any more.

Put it in a smooth-jawed vise and carefully collapse it until the circlip catches an internal groove. Go slowly and check often to see if the the clip has caught. You won't get it the first time, but eventually it will stay compressed. No need to turn it.

Comment

I've read advice stating that you should install it expanded so the chain doesn't slap around while the oil pressure builds up, so you may not even need to do that.

Comment

good luck getting it in there expanded. Im curious if anyone has actually done it this way though. compress it, install it, rev it, boom. it really doesnt take long for it to expand when you rev it

Comment

Originally posted by MF DOOM View Post
          good luck getting it in there expanded. Im curious if anyone has actually done it this way though. compress it, install it, rev it, boom. it really doesnt take long for it to expand when you rev it
          I put a new one in expanded, but not a used one. Does that count?

M42 turbo build.
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=301330

Comment

I installed the tensioner expanded when I did a timing component refresh. Twas not difficult.

Comment

I installed mine compressed and was all kinds of worried about revving it up to get it to expand. Well, it expanded at about 1100 rpm. Car is SO nice a quiet at start up now :-)

Comment

Uh it's really fucking easy to put it in there expanded, that's how I did, in fact it should be same amount of difficulty putting it in expanded compared to not. You get ridiculous chain slap for about 5 seconds and then oil fills it up.
                Originally posted by TSI
                ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
                OEM+

Comment

Originally posted by lolcantturn View Post
                  Uh it's really fucking easy to put it in there expanded, that's how I did, in fact it should be same amount of difficulty putting it in expanded compared to not. You get ridiculous chain slap for about 5 seconds and then oil fills it up.
                  saw no difficulty putting mine in expanded as well
                  1991 318is ---230K - DD
                  1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
                  so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

Originally posted by jntar View Post
                    I put a new one in expanded, but not a used one. Does that count?
                    I've done both.....it's not that difficult. Just put some pressure on it and turn. Once the first couple threads catch just use a wrench.
                    Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
                    Track/street e21 build
                    visit Condor Speed Shop
                    visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Wow.. Learn something new every day. So your'e good to go op.

Comment

I've done the install and rev technique before but with the money an time I've put into this new motor I want to do it correctly. I might try to put it in already expanded, I've just heard that it can be too expanded and put pressure on the guide, causing premature wear.

Comment

I always put mine back in expanded. Even when I had gotten a new one I put it in collapsed like it came but anytime I have to take it out and put it back in I leave it expanded. Never any problems.

On a side note, I've tried to collapse it back with a vice and I could never get it to stay collapsed so I never bothered since.
                          DENY IGNORANCE!
                          Schwarz 325-totaled
                          brilliantrot 318i-daily

Originally posted by mkcman17
                          don't think your hamster wheels are fast now. you will still have to give up when trying to pass that V6 odyssey to make your offramp.

Comment

Working...
                          X