Does this sound familiar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this sound familiar?

This is how my engine is after replacing the headgasket, timing cover gasket, upper and lower intake, valve cover and spark plug gasket, starter, upper and lower oil pan.
    I made sure that my timing was correct. Locked at TDC, cam gears pointing up, 1st intake and exhaust lobes were facing inwards, crank and cam position sensors were clean.
    I have full power in the cabin. I even tried blasting my music just to check the battery.
    Everything was powered. I'm kind of at a loss here.
    My brain probably stopped working at 3 am last night.
    The starter was new remfd.
    Car was running before my upper and lower oil pan got smashed.
    Then I noticed that my headgasket was leaking so I changed it anyway.
    Last edited by jdirty; 05-04-2013, 12:24 AM. Reason: proper youtube embedding
    sigpic

I'd check out the starter again.
    sigpic

1999 528it - Daily Driver “Dad Wagon”
    1991 325is - 2.8L Budget Stroker Garage Slut
    1991 318is - Sold
    1986 325 - Sold

Instagram - Lamoursum

Comment

Will do. I was just too lazy this morning. lol
      Does it matter if it's TDC when putting the starter back in..?
      sigpic

Comment

took out my 'new' starter hoping to figure something out by doing so.
        Nothing unusual really.
        I read somewhere that jumping the diagnostic port 11 & 14 will test the starter. With the starter out and the wires connected I hooked up power. a
        All I hear is buzzing. I don't even know what to expect. maybe the gear to move?
        So I tried doing the same with my old starter, I think I fried it when One of the contacts touched the brake reservoir's metal part/pipe.
        Because I don't have any response from my old starter.
        I'll take of the intake manifolds to see if I missed plugging anything. then probably test with the starters bolted on.
        Does anybody have pictures of their starter's wiring?
        sigpic

Comment

Any further developments here?

Only thing I can come up with is that you might be missing the possibly non critical ground on the starter itself.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
            Any further developments here?

Only thing I can come up with is that you might be missing the possibly non critical ground on the starter itself.
            i tested the two starters i had by jumping it directly from the battery and the motor spins and the drive extends. as far as grounds. i don't even know how much grounding points i have. i cleaned the one on the passenger side, engine to chassis, haven't touched the alternator ground, nor the battery ground.

and now i fucked my fusible link trying to inspect it. i was "carefully" unwrapping the heat shrink and the fusible link was exposed. i was inspecting the fusible link because i couldn't do the stomp test though there was a cel present. now i know my fusible link wasn't my problem because now it is an addition to my current no start issue. i no longer have a cel. lol sucks.

i'm taking it to the shop. if i can't get this thing to run by sunday night.
            sigpic

Comment

So i eventually gave up on my no crank issue thinking it was a electrical related. Specially with the wiring given the PO's streak with doing half assed things with the car. I brought the car to the shop whom we're pretty good friends with. Sure enough it was electrical related and i was partially right. lol
              The PO wired an aftermarket alarm with a killswitch buried deep in the harness, hardwired to the ignition. Also, the starter i've been trying to use apparently isn't functioning properly. They said it may have been mishandled/dropped during shipping when i got it from a member.
              sigpic

Comment

update

so i put a new starter in and now the car cranks...but won't start. Sounds like a mouse is in there dying but I'm guessing it's a timing issue this time around. Hopefully that's it.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RUFFLZ
                  poor mouse :(
                  sigpic

Comment

It does sound like a timing issue, hope you cranked it over by hand before cranking with the starter.

Comment

It does sound like a timing issue, hope you cranked it over by hand before cranking with the starter.
                      i didn't... i ended up redoing my timing when I got home. And now I'm just trying to figure out idling. and I'm bleeding it right now.
                      Last edited by jdirty; 05-05-2013, 01:24 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

i opened up the valve cover.. sure enough my timing was so whack. I Reset everything. Rotated the crank twice then locked the flywheel. Reset cams and cam gears. Bolted everything back up and the car started right up and all is great.. No. just just kidding. The car is idling weird now. Did a stomp test and i ended up with 1222. I remembered i had to replace my 02 sensor anyway so i gave it a shot. Spliced in a 2002 mustang 4 wire 02 Sensor (Bosch 15707) Idling kind of improved.. or maybe i'm just getting frustrated with this... Car won't idle 'normally'. It will stay at 700~800 rpms. but almost sounds like it's going to die. I cleaned my ICV. and still no change. i checked my plugs and they weren't drenched in fuel. Still trying to figure things out, i take the car for a drive around my street and it seems i get power past 1500 rpm but as soon as i let go and wait for it to idle.. it almost sounds like it's going to die. I remembered i haven't bled the cooling system yet.
                        Here's a video for anybody interested to hear it.

and yes that was me instructing my sister what to do.
                        I had to step on the exhaust so it won't hit the rear valence.
                        Haven't fixed the hangers yet. lol

lastly, i do have the small wire disconnected on the firewall
                        Last edited by jdirty; 05-05-2013, 10:54 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Tl;dr

Tl;dr / summary of what had happened. lol

Wanted to replace starter.
                          Ended up replacing headgasket.
                          Starter was put in. Car won't turn.
                          Found out PO had an aftermarket alarm that was cutting ignition. Delete.
                          Put new starter in because first replacement was a bust.
                          Car won't start. Reset timing. Car runs like shit. Fault code 1222.
                          Replaced o2 sensor since I needed to anyway.
                          Found out I didn't tighten my throttle body. Fixed 1222.
                          Now dealing with m42 radiator bleeding.. ugh
                          Last edited by jdirty; 05-09-2013, 01:45 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jdirty View Post
                            Wanted to replace starter.
                            Ended up replacing headgasket.
                            Starter was put in. Car won't turn.
                            Found out PO had an aftermarket alarm that was cutting ignition. Delete.
                            Put new starter in because first replacement was a bust.
                            Car won't start. Reset timing. Car runs like shit. Fault code 1222.
                            Replaced o2 sensor since I needed to anyway.
                            Found out I didn't tighten my throttle body. Fixed 1222.
                            Now dealing with m42 radiator bleeding.. ugh
                            You know, that semi-complaining sounds like imminent motoring bliss to me.

Comment

You know, that semi-complaining sounds like imminent motoring bliss to me.
                              It's sounds like semi complaining since typed that up quickly upon figuring out what was going on. The "A-hah!" moment was when i spraid carb cleaner on the TB thinking it was the small hose or was the injectors, then i realized it was the TB itself. Torqued it down. Car started purring. It was bliss. but i would have to say otherwise about bleeding these things. I have the worst luck with it. lol
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X