M42 Cooling Sytem Advice (Track Car)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 Cooling Sytem Advice (Track Car)

So we're in the process of building a lemons road course car and would really like to set up the cooling system as stout as possible. As I was researching I'm also seeing how this seems to be one of the weak points of this engine as well. We have no heater core int he car. The engine is out and everything is exposed. My questions basically are what hoses do we NEED to run for proper flow in this engine, do we need to upgrade the radiator, do we even need a thermostat since it's a track car (thinking of using a restrictor instead). The main fan has been removed, and I'm wiring in the electric ac condenser fan for are main fan. Thoughts, ideas, opinions all appreciated.

Imo a new stock cooling system will be more then adequate. I'd run the stock t stat with 2 holes or so drilled in the sides to aid with bleeding and call it a day.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Originally posted by FLG View Post
      Imo a new stock cooling system will be more then adequate. I'd run the stock t stat with 2 holes or so drilled in the sides to aid with bleeding and call it a day.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
      Thanks for the quick reply. Are there any hoses that can be "eliminated"? I've yet to find a great cooling system flow breakdown chart other than some hose breakdown pictures.

Comment

Just run the stock cooling system. I have all fairly fresh components and has seen 105+ temps at the track and never even gotten warm.

As for hose deletes Id say just get rid of the mess under the intake hoses and run a hose from the plastic water pipe to the small nipple on the head and you are good to go! I have my outlets capped but if I were to do it again is run a hose.

-NICK

Comment

I'd run the E36 318 electric puller fan with a 80/88 temp switch instead of the E30 aux fan.

Comment

As was said the stock system with the mess cooling deleted and head to water pipe linked is perfect.

A great idea would be to see if you can flush the system out either with just water or with some cleaning agent (although I have none to recommend). A replacement radiator (with expansion tank and new cap) is an excellent idea too!

As far as a fan goes we have run our M42 in Chump with no fan and have had no issues, but if you do plan to run one the M44 fan and M42 shroud are probably the best bets.

Comment

Working...
            X