odd electrical burning/ intermitten running issue/ HOT ecu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

odd electrical burning/ intermitten running issue/ HOT ecu

I'll go through what has happened and what I have diagnosed so far....

About a week ago I was filling up at the gas station, got back in the car and smelled something electrical burning and smoke coming out of the glove box. It stopped, I drove it home (couple blocks), and could not get it to repeat this.... I had driven through some standing water about 30 min previous to this and it was raining quite hard....

The next day I drove the car around with no issue, but that night when I was driving home the car cut out for just a second three different times in a 10 min drive, no electrical smell, no smoke....

The next day I was driving out of town, drove through some standing water (not fast), and just down the road the car died, and the electrical burning was back, but only for a few seconds. Pulled the car over, couldn't get it started and the electrical burning came back, again just for a few seconds. Went and got a trailer, car started and drove it on, got it home and it started and ran fine....I pulled the ecu and found no visible damage, unwrapped the wiring harness to the ecu and didn't find any burnt wires....

Next day, my dad went to move the car, wouldn't start at all. He pulled some stuff apart, cleaned, dried, etc.

Today, I get in the car, it fired right up. I let it warm up, tried spraying water all over thinking that is the common factor here and it continued to run fine. I drove the car around for a little while, got within a block from my house and smell electrical burning only for a couple seconds but couldn't tell where its coming from. The car continues to fire up and run fine....and it was all dry today other than the water I sprayed.

I'm baffled ......

Only thing I can think is the ecu.....but there is no visual damage, it does tick a bit though and the bottom plate gets a quite hot, don't know if this is normal......

Someone please help!!!!
    Last edited by tfritz; 06-18-2013, 03:15 PM.

Nobody?? Should the ecu get that hot? I can only hold onto to bottom plate comfortably for about 10 seconds....

Someone mentioned maybe the engine ground strap, so I replaced that and I guess we'll see if that helps.

Comment

Hard to say what it was. I guess you would have to start smelling the wires and find the one that is getting toasted. I'd think you have a short somewhere, but I'm not very good at electric troubleshooting.

Comment

Thats what Im trying to do but I can't get it to repeat the burning and can't find anything visually burnt. Yet the ecu is getting HOT. I am going to swap ecu's with the one from my dads 318ic and see if that one gets hot. If it doesn't, that would mean the issue is in the ecu correct?

May or may not be related but the car also takes several cranks to start, but it had done that with the previous owner also.

Comment

My car did that at the gas station once and it ended up my ghetto rigged starter ground cable. It would rob the starter of power and burnt up the electrical tape around it

Guessing that's not your symptoms but I'd start checking the grounds
          Bronzit 4-door Swap Drifting somewhere
          Cammed B25 Swap Daily Driver
          Updated 10/1

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
          Maybe 300 CANADIAN HP, thats like 225 US HP.

Comment

I did replace the main engine ground strap but will check others. I swapped ecu's and drove around for about 20 minutes, the ecu got warm but not HOT like the other, which leads me to believe the ecu is the problem. I am going to drive it for a few days and make sure this ecu doesn't start getting hotter and hotter though.

Comment

So, I purchased another ecu and drove the car to work today, 45 min each way. When I got home today I felt the ecu and it is HOT, but not a single wire going to the ecu is even warm....this is frustrating the crap out of me!!! HELP!!

Comment

Update!! I definitely believe water has something to do with this. It was pouring down rain when I left work today and drove through the torrential downpour for about 15 minutes. It stopped raining and pavement was dry and I started to smell hot electrical something. I opened the glove box and the ecu was HOTTT!!!

The only thing that I can think, that I have changed, is a new O2 sensor that I spliced in....

Comment

Working...
                X