M42 start up hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 start up hunting

My M42 when starting up, cold or warm, tends to hunt for about 10 seconds before stabilizing. No ill effects after this.

I sprayed the engine bay with brake clean and did not notice any vacuum leaks (no sudden engine rev ups).

The motor is stock with a Turner chip.

Any ideas?

Both of my M42s do that on startup, probably under 10s, but does hunt for a moment. Might be an ICV issue (in need of cleaning) if you feel it is doing it for too long. What are the max/min RPM it reaches on startup?

Comment

I lean toward cleaning the ICV as it's the easiest place to start. Bit by bit, I replaced all the hoses, intake manifold gaskets, then added a new TPS, throttle body gasket, refurbished AFM, and finally another ICV from someone's partout. My idle is consistently on spec right now.
      Last edited by romeomike; 06-09-2013, 07:18 PM.
      On Christ the solid Rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand. (Edward Mote 1797-1874)

Comment

ICV...they are cleanable...pull it off check hoses...and clean it

I had one that I sprayed the crap out of the insides with brake clean..hooked it up to a battery and switched it on and off a bunch...clean it again...problem solved
        'if the hoses look bad...some people relocate em with over the counter hoses

does it run fine otherwise
        if not could be cam sensor or even throttle position sensor

believe it or not..the cars will run fine with the tps unplugged...I ran my m42 with mine unplugged for a few months...I had idle problems...not after unplugging tps
        so in trying to diagnois problems and you determine its not the icv,,un plug tps

running without tps will lower gas milage...at least it did with mine

Comment

Working...
        X