What should i do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should i do?

Hey there. Just need some advice. Recently bought a 1991 318i sedan. The previous owner was a older lady. When buying it, she told me its been standing for 8 months and needs a new clutch. Upon further inspection, rear wheels were sunk into the dirt 2 inches. Tabs last renewed 2003. Plants growing through motor bay. I thought to myself more like 8 years, not 8 months. SO i towed her home and started tinkering. Upon trying to jumpstart it, it wouldnt start. Would crank but not start. So i looked at the fuel pump and turns out it wasnt working. Changed the pump and fired her up. She ran ROUGH at startup. WOuldnt idle at all unless i was giving gas and was stuttering like crazy. After a good 10 mins of running and warming up, she idled well. I let the car run for a good 20 mins. Next time i tried to get it started, 2 days later, it took a while cranking it to get it to run. As it was cranking, it sounded like there was a slight piston slap. After i started it and ran it for a few seconds, slap went away. Started it up again today. Piston slap noise proceeded for 1 or 2 cranks and as it fired up, no more was it slapping. Idleing horribly at cold start everytime i start it. Now the question i ask is what should i do. Car has 212k miles. Should i start changing stuff or should i get a new motor. So far, ive purchased the following:

Intake manifold and TB gaskets
    Stuff for mess under the intake mod
    New spark plugs
    New water pump
    New thermostat
    New valve cover gasket
    New oil
    New tranny and diff fluid
    New intake boot
    A couple of new hoses that were cracked
    new fuel filter and pump

Should i start changing stuff or should i just swap in a lower mile motor? It looks like the lady took good care of it but, its been standing for 10 years. Rat poop on the core support. Alternator looks rusty. Alot of screws and bolts look a bit rusty.

Im sure i can change these things and get her running great again but is it worth it, especially as i started to hear that slight piston slap. Would rusty gas in the injectors cause the slap? Thanks for insight in advance

Change the oil/filter (something cheap is fine).
    Stomp test, hopefully 1444, but may need to run for a bit/have battery power to get codes.
    Change the plugs (Bosch silvers or NGKs), clean/check the wires, check plug well oil seals.
    Check timing.
    Pull the intake manifold and delete or half delete the mess.
    Change the injector o-rings.
    Change the fuel filter, check for deteriorated rubber lines above filter.
    Clean the ICV.
    Verify TB valves are seated at 0 throttle, and open fully with pedal/adjust if needed.
    Inspect and possibly clean the AFM, could also pop the top to inspect for condensation, be sure there is no "extension" on the plug for the AFM.
    Start, run, give Italian tune up.

If that fails you are out all of ~$60 and then you can swap in another M42.

Comment

That's what I was thinking of doing. The old lady i bought it from said it was well kept and maintenance was done on time all the time. Ill look into all that and hopefully we can get her running like a top again.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
      X