Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oxygen Sensor Bust?

I think my cars o2 sensor is dying and here are the symptoms so far:
    - Only today my car started sputter for a bit under the initial acceleration.
    - Ever since I got my car Ive only ever got about 400km (248 Miles) out of a full tank, using Premium 95 RON.

Before diving into purchase of the o2 sensor ($130AUD)... I want to see if there may be other problems that may cause this.

How would i troubleshoot this problem further and does it even seem that it is the o2 sensor going bust?

Vacuum hoses. Seriously, check all the rubber under your hood first because that is likely your problem. Could also be your idle control valve or even coolant temp sensor is supposed to be a common culprit on these cars.

But, you also may want to check the little magic plug --> http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=329750

It should be unplugged for cars with catalytic converters.

If that plug isn't the problem and all your hoses are fine, I would grab the multimeter and start measuring resistances against the standards.
    Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

Thanks, ill check them later and report back.

Comment

Search around here for using an off the shelf Bosch o2 sensor if it comes to needing a new one. I paid $35 for mine then soldered the BMW connector onto the new o2 sensor.
        91 318is - Gone
        16 VW GTI
        07 Aprilia Tuono

Comment

After you check the vacuum hoses, do a stomp test. List of most codes and what they mean. http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/669551

M42 turbo build.
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=301330

Comment

Is the stomp test only applicable if the CHECK light has been coming on?
            91 318is - Gone
            16 VW GTI
            07 Aprilia Tuono

Comment

No it'll show active and inactive codes so even if you had an engine light a while ago, if you haven't met the parameters for it to be erased(key cycles) it'll still be stored and flash during the stomp test.
              DENY IGNORANCE!
              Schwarz 325-totaled
              brilliantrot 318i-daily

Originally posted by mkcman17
              don't think your hamster wheels are fast now. you will still have to give up when trying to pass that V6 odyssey to make your offramp.

Comment

So I fixed the issue of the car sputtering. There was moisture in one of my spark leads. However this still doesn't fix the fuel consumption bring extremely high.

I've recently noticed that no matter what gear or throttle I use the fuel consumption gauge will be always at 23L per 100. Running to rich?

Comment

My dead o2 sensor raped my MPG.
                  91 318is - Gone
                  16 VW GTI
                  07 Aprilia Tuono

Comment

Originally posted by jntar View Post
                    After you check the vacuum hoses, do a stomp test. List of most codes and what they mean. http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/669551
                    I tried doing the stomp test on my AUS delivered car but it doesnt work. And after confirming it by searching online if other people have done it in AUS, it sure doesnt work.
                    Thankyou though!

Comment

So I've just checked my o2 sensor through a multimeter after a drive and the sensors values do not change even through the rev range from idle to about 2000 rpm. I've taken out a vacumm hose to test it and the sensor changes slightly. I've also to taken off the oil fill cap to make it run rich. And the same thing still happens. The value does the not change or only a small tiny bit.

Is this a sure o2 sensor failure?

Comment

What's the voltage on the sensor normally and when you introduce a vacuum leak?
                        DENY IGNORANCE!
                        Schwarz 325-totaled
                        brilliantrot 318i-daily

don't think your hamster wheels are fast now. you will still have to give up when trying to pass that V6 odyssey to make your offramp.

Comment

Here is a video of no leak and a leak being introduced.

Comment

The sensor should read .45V if everything is good. Higher than that is rich and lower is lean. The range is 0-1V
                            DENY IGNORANCE!
                            Schwarz 325-totaled
                            brilliantrot 318i-daily

Comment

So does that means my sensor is dead?
                              Thanks for your help btw

Comment

Working...
                              X