Intake manifold leak. HELP w/Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intake manifold leak. HELP w/Video

Here is a video so you can see/hear the high pitched noise its making.

Update: The sound is back after replacing the missing/broken stud. *See post #9*

In the 2nd part of the video you can see me press down on the intake and the sound goes away. It also goes away when I rev up the engine. The sound is more prominent towards the back. Would I just need a new gasket and replace the missing bolt? Some direction to help my dumb ass please?

Last edited by thebutcher37; 07-06-2015, 10:26 PM.

jou ma se poes in 'n fishpaste jar.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Transaction Feedback

Well... replace the missing bolt. See where that takes ya.
    Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

Originally posted by ck_taft325is View Post
      Well... replace the missing bolt. See where that takes ya.
      LOL, I know. I know.
      Its coming along... Just posting up for posterity and for future reference of the sound to help others.

Problem is I don't have the hardware. Im no good at understanding diagrams. So Im iffy on the bolts Im missing.

Transaction Feedback

Comment

Numbers 3 and 4 are what hold the upper intake to the lower. It's not a bolt, it is a stud and has a nut (#12).

I would pull the manifold off and see what length the other studs are, then buy the length you need. #3 is an M7x45mm long, #4 is an M7x40mm long. Replace the gasket while you are at it.

Comment

^what he said.

And while you are in there pull the valve cover and take a look at the sprockets and the chain. It sounds like your timing components might be worn out
          Originally posted by kendogg
          Don't know, but the E90 wasn't designed from the ground-up intending to be a racecar like the E30 was.
          OG RACECAR

Comment

Originally posted by M42Power View Post
            ^what he said.

And while you are in there pull the valve cover and take a look at the sprockets and the chain. It sounds like your timing components might be worn out
            I only had to remove the upper intake in order to replace the broken stud, and while at it removed the "mess under the intake" and heater plate, etc. I will take ur advice and look into my timing components even though the car is pretty damn quiet ever since i changed out the chain tensioner.

Here's another thread I made when I found out the stud I needed to replace was NLA from BMW.
            I ended up finding an exact similar part with the help of another member that worked just fine.

Transaction Feedback

Comment

So you CAN remove the studs from the lower intake manifold? I have these studs laying around but i wasnt convinced you can and so i was going to get another lower manifold. I think only 1 is stripped. What did you use to swap the studs?

Comment

Originally posted by 14''BBS View Post
                So you CAN remove the studs from the lower intake manifold? I have these studs laying around but i wasnt convinced you can and so i was going to get another lower manifold. I think only 1 is stripped. What did you use to swap the studs?
                Please elaborate on your question.

I think you are asking how did I remove the broken studs, if so I got a stud extractor.

Transaction Feedback

Comment

So the sound came back after a couple months.

I believe the lower intake has a loose/broken stud but in order to do this i may need to remove the fuel rail.

Does anybody know if I have to remove the fuel rail in order to get the lower intake off? or can I kind of work around it? If I do have to remove it what do i need to have in order to put it back together correctly? injector o-rings? the injector clips?

Transaction Feedback

Comment

You just need to remove (and label) the fuel hoses/injector harness connector to get the lower IM off.

Comment

Working...
                    X