Exhaust and Cat questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust and Cat questions

Originally, I planned on installing a Borla Pro XS or a Flowmaster HP2 muffler to my 91 318is and getting rid of my empty cat. I read up some more and apparently the cat plays an important part in reducing the raspy sound the M42 gives off, so I want to change the cat before I do anything with the muffler. The muffler shop quoted me $350 for a new cat + installation, but that sounded on the high side for me, so I wanted to see how much I could buy new cat for. Will any California legal 2.25" in cat work? Can I just weld in something like this or this and call it good? When I see if it is compatible with my car it says it isn't.

Also, my car doesn't have any exhaust hangars, I think the muffler is just somehow bolted in. Do I need the hangars if it is an aftermarket exhaust?
    Last edited by Mohit; 01-08-2015, 12:46 AM.

Alot of cats sold by exhaust shops are crap. If you plan to keep the car in California buy a quality one otherwise you'll pay to do it again. Magnaflow high flow cats are under 200.... Keep a resonator, cat, and muffler on the car.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh1254 View Post
      Alot of cats sold by exhaust shops are crap. If you plan to keep the car in California buy a quality one otherwise you'll pay to do it again. Magnaflow high flow cats are under 200.... Keep a resonator, cat, and muffler on the car.
      If I get a Magnaflow cat, can I just weld it right in? Do I need some clips or hangers or gaskets or anything?

Comment

Weld it in. Your exhaust should have a support bracket by the transmission, rear subframe, and on the muffler. You can always add another one if needed.

Comment

Those MF cats are only good for a year or 2 though. But yes u can just weld it in and you're good to go
          sigpic

Comment

Would this this Maganaflow 37105 work? It seems to be CARB compliant and the right size, 2.25".

Comment

Working...
            X