Lowering springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lowering springs

What would be the best rout to go when buying lowering springs what kind should I get and how low should I go. I want a 1.5 to 2.0 inch drop.
    91 318is
    94 accord
    96 mustang / workin progress
    sigpicE30 enthusiast

You have to tell us what you want out of the car.
    H&R Race springs have a bit of everything you might want out of a spring and shock combo.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Coilovers are good to get your car exactly where you want it. If you don't want coilovers, as ak mentioned H&R race springs are the best. They give a nice drop that's around 1.5-2.5" but you'll want drop hats in the front to tighten the wheel gap
      Last edited by shameson; 01-14-2015, 09:21 PM.
      '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
      '91 Alpine 318i (Gone) Click Here
      '92 Alpine 325i Cabrio (Gone) Click Here
      '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

^
        Agreed, for that drop without coilovers the best option is H&R race or IE3 springs. Drop hats in the front really improve the overall look of the car too if that's what you're after.

You should be aware that H&R race springs will put the oil pan in some jeopardy and you should consider a skid plate, preferably one with slots or holes for a DD for the best oil cooling. I personally run H&R sports (not OE sports), no drop hats, with new 21/14.5mm stock sway bars/Bilstein sport shocks for the best compromise as a normal driver, and they are not bad, firm without being too harsh, even reasonable at auto-x. That said, I have still scraped my oil pan with sports, so be aware. Pic of setup results below.

Comment

The HR sport springs with the part number for the early model 318i are great.

Comment

I've got H&R 50406 springs with Koni yellow adjustable's all around. Drop hats up front and IE rear shock mounts. Replaced the front strut bearings but went with stock, need to get something stiffer I think, but they worked well for this past season.

The ride is very stiff and a little bouncy. Corners great but I think I need a stiffer spring to match the stiffness of the Koni's. Overall, I like the ride and the drop was nice but wasn't so crazy that I need a skid plate etc.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vanilla Gorilla View Post
              I've got H&R 50406 springs with Koni yellow adjustable's all around. Drop hats up front and IE rear shock mounts. Replaced the front strut bearings but went with stock, need to get something stiffer I think, but they worked well for this past season.

The ride is very stiff and a little bouncy. Corners great but I think I need a stiffer spring to match the stiffness of the Koni's. Overall, I like the ride and the drop was nice but wasn't so crazy that I need a skid plate etc.
              Not to drag it too far off topic, but what do you have your yellows adjusted to?

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                Not to drag it too far off topic, but what do you have your yellows adjusted to?
                I started with them all adjusted as stiff as they would go. I gradually backed off about 1 turn all around. Then maybe another quarter turn all around.

I know that isn't very specific information. Sorry haha.

I would say that if I was going to run this spring in the car, I would back them down as soft as they go because they are still very stiff at that setting.

I think I'm going to switch out to a race spring though as I like the stiff ride but not the bouncing haha
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X