X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 Squealing noise

hey guys,

heres a video of the squealing noise.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

whenever its cold out (or my engine is cold) it squeals like this EVERYTIME i come to a stop. I usually dont drive my car very far at night so i havent really figured out if its because of the ambient temperature or the fact that my car is still cold. whenever i release the clutch and the engine idles back to 750rpm, it starts to squeal like this and will go away once i hit about 2.5k rpm. i noticed it got worse when i sprayed some belt lubricant (or whatever its called) on it, trying to remedy it.

anyone know the cause? ive read it could be the belts/pulleys but im not sure.

thanks

1985 528e
    1991 325ix

1992 318i Convertible

"this question is kind of like asking: would you rather be ass raped by a gorrilla with lube on his dick or butt pounded by a prison inmate with size 14 shoes and no lube....?"

Most likely a loose pulley or worn belt. I would check that your power steering pump and/or alternator brackets are not loose.
    Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

The video is private but from what you described it's a loose belt. My alternator belt get's loose every now and then and makes that noise.

Give her a crank and you'll most likely be set!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vanilla Gorilla View Post
        The video is private
        changed so its unlisted

1985 528e
        1991 325ix

1992 318i Convertible

"this question is kind of like asking: would you rather be ass raped by a gorrilla with lube on his dick or butt pounded by a prison inmate with size 14 shoes and no lube....?"

Comment

My alternator belt did that on my m10. It was loose so I adjusted it and the sound went away. The alternator bushings were clapped out so I swapped in new ones a few weeks later.

Comment

I had a simliar noise. I tightened the belts and also sprayed some 'belt dressing/belt conditioner" on the belts and pulleys. This is a tacky spray which gives the belts more traction. CRC makes it and you can find it at most auto part stores.

Comment

Originally posted by mark1991 View Post
              I had a simliar noise. I tightened the belts and also sprayed some 'belt dressing/belt conditioner" on the belts and pulleys. This is a tacky spray which gives the belts more traction. CRC makes it and you can find it at most auto part stores.
              I've noticed that when I spray the belt dressing on, it helps for maybe 1 drive, then it seems to get worse than before. It used to only squeal once at startup, but now it squeals almost everytime i come to an idle.

1985 528e
              1991 325ix

1992 318i Convertible

Comment

Mine just started to do this. I replaced the belts about a month ago and it was great. For the last few days it has made this noise when it's cold...

I'd have to say it's quite annoying.

Comment

Working...
                X